Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

spaceman_spiff

Stargazing music

Hi all,

I thought I would give this a mention. I often play music while i'm setting up and using my scope, it helps me focus and takes my mind of the biting cold. I like to play classical music because drum beats and lyrics distract me (also I worry about disturbing the neighbours!) Here are some examples I listen to:

Bach - Well tempered clavier on piano (all preludes and fugues if time allows)

Bach - English and french suites

Scarlatti - pretty much any piece (I'm not sure why but I really like his sonatas)

Mozart - Piano concerto 23 and others.

Anyway, the main point of this post...Does anyone else listen to music during astronomy? If so, then details please!

:icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

When the dob mob are observing in Elan the only noise you can hear is the sound of jaws hitting the ground....

• Like 1

When the dob mob are observing in Elan the only noise you can hear is the sound of jaws hitting the ground....

oh, you're one of the dob mob? you've kept that quiet  :evil4:

• Like 2

music is a great way of drowning out those imaging rigs... :hiding:

Hi all,

I thought I would give this a mention. I often play music while i'm setting up and using my scope, it helps me focus and takes my mind of the biting cold. I like to play classical music because drum beats and lyrics distract me (also I worry about disturbing the neighbours!) Here are some examples I listen to:

Bach - Well tempered clavier on piano (all preludes and fugues if time allows)

Bach - English and french suites

Scarlatti - pretty much any piece (I'm not sure why but I really like his sonatas)

Mozart - Piano concerto 23 and others.

Anyway, the main point of this post...Does anyone else listen to music during astronomy? If so, then details please!

:icon_biggrin:

Nice music score, I like to listen to music, such as you list would be great, which might include Beethoven's piano concerto no3, when heading off somewhere, perhaps lingering whilst setting up and later when driving home. Not really at all during observing, though that's been a while in terms of dark sky trip. 

• Like 1

The Moody Blues.......A Question Of Balance....no really....Its one of the albums I listen to.... :headbang:

I made a video to go with my current exhibition of astrophotography that shows how an astrophotograph is made. It's a silent movie, but I wanted some 'space ambient' music to play on a long shuffle loop to provide a bit of background noise, so I googled 'space ambient music' and came up with quite a few options. My favourite so far is 'Stellardrone' - check it out, very very spacey and relaxing. The video room has become known as the chill out zone! I digress slightly from the OP as I haven't actually listened to this in the field at the scope, but I reckon it would be great. My choice at the scope so far has tended to involve much Pink Floyd, but then that is music suitable for any moment in my life!! Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun....

• Like 2

Cool,

Thanks for the music suggestions guys!

Last night I was doing some imaging (M51) and heard a couple of walkers on the public footpath near my garden listening and commenting (positively) on the music. I mentioned that it was Mozart and invited them to have a look at my imaging rig. They were really interested in the astrophotography and were shocked that it was possible to do in urban areas. 

If it was not for the music, that chance meeting would not have happened.

• Like 2

If you like classical, you might enjoy music composed by William Herschel (1738-1822), better known here as the astronomer who discovered Uranus.

You can listen to several of his compositions on YouTube.

Edited by Putaendo Patrick
  • Like 1

If you like classical, you might enjoy music composed by William Herschel (1738-1822), better known here as the astronomer who discovered Uranus.

You can listen to several of his compositions on YouTube.

Now that sounds like a good idea! 

I'm thinking I might make a playlist with some of suggestions mentioned here.  :icon_biggrin:

Kate Bush - Cloudbusting

Cloudbusting! Interesting idea, unfortunately I can't stand her voice - something about it makes my skin crawl!

Also I wonder if her voice sounding out in the middle of the night would freak out the neighbours! 

I'm afraid the only sound I listen to is the ringing in my ears

• Like 1

Now that sounds like a good idea! 

I'm thinking I might make a playlist with some of suggestions mentioned here.  :icon_biggrin:

Enjoyed listening to Haydn, Piano Trio in C the other day, again not at the scope, that is becoming a thing of rarity these days.