Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stacking of images help

Hello all,

I am a complete novice at this and haven't got the foggiest of ideas where to start.

I began by watching video tutorials of how to stack images, and I have captured a few pictures and video footage of Saturn. I have run the footage through PIPP to stabilise it and have tried stacking the individual images through "DeepSkyStacker" but it asks for "dark files, flat files, dark/flat files and offset/bias files". As mentioned, I am a complete novice so would someone be able to give me a description of what these files are and if they are images, how I can go about taking these.

Thank you in advance.

Hello all,

I am a complete novice at this and haven't got the foggiest of ideas where to start.

I began by watching video tutorials of how to stack images, and I have captured a few pictures and video footage of Saturn. I have run the footage through PIPP to stabilise it and have tried stacking the individual images through "DeepSkyStacker" but it asks for "dark files, flat files, dark/flat files and offset/bias files". As mentioned, I am a complete novice so would someone be able to give me a description of what these files are and if they are images, how I can go about taking these.

Thank you in advance.

You are using the wrong software for planetary imaging. You need to have either Registax or Auto Stakkert.  These are free downloads. DSS is for long exposure Deep Sky Imaging and what is asking for is the calibration frames.

My advice to you is to read a lot more about basic astro photography.

Regards,

A.G

Archived