Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simeis 147 (the red version)

Martin-Devon

This is certainly not the finest version of Simeis 147, the image is just 7 x 20 min 1xbin H-alpha taken on January 7th - it needs much more data to do it proper justice and it's noisy as a result. This is a single frame not a mosaic, and I've 'colourized' the H-alpha filaments in red, which I appreciate may not be to everybody's taste but it's makes a change from the usual greyscale. 

Not sure now whether to go deeper with this one, or move onto another target. At the moment I have just a single narrowband filter, the H-alpha 50mm, so cannot do any Hubble palette images though.

Still getting to learn how to use this Moravian G4-16000 CCD, I spent several wasted hours the night this was taken before it clicked that (at least on my set-up) to get reproducible downloads the CCD USB cable must go through a powered hub. Anyhow, steep learning curve, and thanks for looking.

Martin

23952780389_a2f30806c9_b.jpg

Fantastic image! I like it red. And perfectly framed - you really fitted all the spaghetti into the sensor (I assume real-estate rules with this object).  Did your go-to get your framing right immediately?

Thanks again for the comments from everybody.

Gorann, you were asking about the framing - it was indeed very tricky with this target. Although plate solving got the image roughly in the middle of my CCD chip, the nebula is so very faint that it was really difficult to see where the boundaries were. Normally I would do a 30 second or 2 minute 2xbin exposure to get a quick very rough outline, but Simeis 147 is so very faint that nothing showed up, and there's no signal at all in LRGB, it's just H-alpha. So I had to resort to several 10min 2xbin subs in H-alpha, stacking, and stretching heavily with curves just to see the borders. Then a small movement to readjust, followed by another set of the same downloads to see the new framing and move again as necessary. It took me quite some time actually to get the framing as I wanted it!

Martin

...So I had to resort to several 10min 2xbin subs in H-alpha, stacking, and stretching heavily with curves just to see the borders. Then a small movement to readjust, followed by another set of the same downloads to see the new framing and move again as necessary. It took me quite some time actually to get the framing as I wanted it!

Martin

Your patience was well rewarded. Great capture!

Regards

John

Gorann, you were asking about the framing - it was indeed very tricky with this target. Although plate solving got the image roughly in the middle of my CCD chip, the nebula is so very faint that it was really difficult to see where the boundaries were. Normally I would do a 30 second or 2 minute 2xbin exposure to get a quick very rough outline, but Simeis 147 is so very faint that nothing showed up, and there's no signal at all in LRGB, it's just H-alpha. So I had to resort to several 10min 2xbin subs in H-alpha, stacking, and stretching heavily with curves just to see the borders. Then a small movement to readjust, followed by another set of the same downloads to see the new framing and move again as necessary. It took me quite some time actually to get the framing as I wanted it!

Martin

That is what I thought, and it really impresses me! Having to do stacking between the movements shows how much patience you must have!

I guess that you knew in what direction to move the mount. For me that is usually trial and error (and dependent on how the camera is oriented) so I wonder if I will ever have the patience to go for something this faint. I assume there is some smart way to find out in what direction and how far to move the mount (maybe try at some nearby bright star first).

Martin

I found that a 1min Ha shot at 2x2 only convinced me that I was definitely not I the right place, despite being right on it, as it was so faint.

Tom.

• 1 month later...

Excellent work Martin and congratulations on the new camera. Its a fine looking image whether  you decide to add more data or not. I will be looking forward to seeing your future results with this new set-up!!

Pete.

Archived