First light with Olympus DSPI 8x40

cuivenion

I got in from work about 5am, and the sky was crystal clear. Not much point setting up the main scope, so I thought I'd have a quick session with my new Olympus binos.

I'm not really used to binocular viewing, I haven't really done that since I was about ten. I had a quick scan around the sky and I must say that the wide field of view is great after using the 200mm reflector. The quality of the view is excellent with distortion only at the outer edges and not that severe to my eyes.

In a thirty minute session I'd bagged M13, M44, had a look at Jupiter with two of it's moons and found Comet Catalina! All in all I'm very happy to have a way to observe when setting up the main scope just isn't an option.

My only slight worry with these binos is that the view came into focus only near the end of the focus range. I think this may be due to me being short sighted and not using my glasses while observing with the binos. I can't seem to get used to using my scope or binos while wearing glasses.

Archived