Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Ccolvin968

Anybody a member of AAVSO?

I just learned about AAVSO on another post of mine. Is this something that people just mostly use the data or are a lot of people paying and contributing members? It's definitely something I'm interested in if anybody can join. Again, just goes to show that this is a hobby where we can make a difference as amateurs. Clear skies! (And above negative temperatures.)

• Like 1

I know there were a few here on AAVSO, they would take measurements and supply the data back.

One person had an 8" or 9.25" Celestron SCT for the job of obtaining data, not seen them around for some time.

Another one to look at is Zooniverse, started out as catagorising galaxies - nice easy - later ones seemed more involved. One or two to the extent that I never quite worked out what was going on. Latest seems to be counting or catagorising wildlife in Wisconsin. Fine if you live there but not sure about it otherwise. Check their site for astro projects requiring public involvement and/or input.

There is also the Gaia mission that is looking to involve amateurs. I think they are redoing the nature of how and where to involve amateurs. Have the idea this is the third rethink. Eventually they will get it sorted. Have attended 2 or 3 talks on Gaia and involvement seems a little undefined at present.

Zooniverse is: https://www. zooniverse.org

Gaia is: https://www.gaia.ac.uk/

• Like 1

I've been working on the Kepler data on zooniverse for a while now. I have over 1100 stars I've classified. I love it. I'll need to check out Gaia out. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

I just learned about AAVSO on another post of mine. Is this something that people just mostly use the data or are a lot of people paying and contributing members? It's definitely something I'm interested in if anybody can join. Again, just goes to show that this is a hobby where we can make a difference as amateurs. Clear skies! (And above negative temperatures.)

I think it was my post on V404 Cyg that mentioned AAVSO. Yes, I am a member, in fact I attended their Fall meeting in Boston last November. I don't get to their meetings often as I am in the UK. The AAVSO is an excellent organisation and worth joining if you are interested in variable stars. It's a branch of the hobby where amateurs can really contribute to science by visual or CCD observations.

For UK based members (although we do have members from all over the world) there is also the BAA Variable Star Section that promotes the observation of variable stars (http://www.britastro.org/vss/). The next meeting of the BAA VSS is in Northampton on March 19.

Go well!

Jeremy

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1

It was you indeed. I am pretty enthused by the website. I had no idea anything like this existed outside of Zooniverse. Good referral my friend!

I contribute to the AAVSO (and BAAVS). They send out Christmas cards, which is nice. VS observing sounds boring but is actually very rewarding.

• Like 1

I just registered as a member. I plan on being a contributing member as of this coming payday. JeremyS, thank you for the link in my other post. You're the one responsible for my signing up and getting even deeper into this hobby. Just how I like it. Clear skies!!