SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M45 with new refractor

frostynixon

Hello,

i bought myself a Skywatcher Esprit 100 for christmas as i wanted to have a wider field of view and also an easier handling compared to my GSO 8" F5 newton.

Luckily, over christmas the weathergod was nice and i had a few good nights.

This is 10hrs integration time with a stock Nikon D800 and the Skywatcher Esprit 100 on a NEQ6.

gallery_40578_3576_1976539.jpg
Do the colors and brightness look more or less ok on your screen? I exported this image with color profile but on some screens it looks greenish and just too bright.
best regards
Matthias

Hi Matthias

Looks pretty good to me! Wish I could take something so good...

I dunno, maybe a tiny bit green and a weeny bit bright. It's all a matter of taste, I suppose. I did a quick adjustment in Paint.net - shifted the green a little in levels and pulled the curve down a little bit:

post-33532-0-74337400-1452435202_thumb.j

Yours is probably better!

Images never look so good on here anyway. I usually post mine as .png. It's worth calibrating the monitors you use for image processing - there's usually a built-in routine for doing that.

Louise

I think that's simply superb. Sharp and deep.

I do feel it's a bit green and thought so before being prompted by your question. It shows in the slightly cyan blue, the slightly 'yellow' red stars and in the background. Don't bring it down by much though! I don't think it's far off at all.

There is faint extended blue nebulosity going off a long way from M45 and you have caught the start of it incredibly well. I've been after it before and it's very difficult!

Olly

Thanks for your comments! I somehow have a hard time adjusting the white balance and tint. I somehow suspect that my monitor displays everything with a slight red tint (although it is calibrated...), which is why i tend to boost the green channels. Maybe i should have a look at the color calibration tool in Pixinsight again... I will try to apply your suggestions.

Louise,

i think i like a version best that is halfway between yours and mine :)

br

Matthias

That's where I'd put it as well. You can always colour sample a few pixels of background sky in Ps so see if you're neutral. (I go for RGB parity in the background.)

Olly

Archived