Is this now a 1 day a month hobby?

PeterCPC

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed 141 sessions including solar in 2015, so don't consider it to be a bad year, although the weather and seeing could have been much better! Some have just be ten or fifteen miunte sessions imaging the moon or Sun in white light with my DSLR and 80ED scope on an MDF mount. It makes a very quick set up if I see an opportunity, and I've captured a number of interesting transits across the Sun and Moon with this method.

post-20257-0-18500800-1452434330_thumb.j

Hi Peter,

I've just begun attempting some DSO exposures with a very basic kit and can empathise over the need for clear night skies to get images free of cloud. That said coming from a predominantly binocular background with little or no set up involved I have just checked my observing log and find that during October to December (inclusive) last year there were 28 nights when I could get out and enjoy the night sky, even if just briefly. Perhaps the most weather-proof facet of this hobby is radar meteor detection that can be carried out 24/7 except for short GRAVES signal down times. I hope the weather is not going to deteriorate to largely prevent photography from this Isle as that would be a great shame to so many especially if they are not attracted to other areas of astronomy. Otherwise maybe it's time to diversify.

Wishing clear, dark skies.

Steve

hi

just got my pc done ,ok right a few days ago i looked at a bright star  through my telescope [celestron powerseeker 70az], i used my barlow 3x lens with eye piece 20mm it just look like looking at  bacterear through a miroscope on a pallet, well as im new to this anybody can explain this to me what wud this star be many thanks ...

For imaging I guess it could be.

Too long to set up and get going, although I half suspect you have a somewhat more permanent arrangement then many.

Also do you consider getting up at say 2:30 for a possible 3:00 session?

If it is clear then then you have missed the opportunity and cannot blame the weather.

We do seem to want everything at a convenient time to suit us.

One good imaging session a month would be fantastic. I could play with one good set of data from one object for ages. As it is I've had no opportunity to set up the full kit since October. So of late my astronomy been limited to the occasional 20 mins out there with the bins, which is good but more would be better!

I'm rubbish at choosing hobbies. Got into astronomy again last year where there was a month of pure skys early in the year, after April its been a write off, used my scope once since then. With 2 young kids and running a company, 2.00am starts just wouldn't work, so anything between 5pm and 10.00pm is my window, which means summer is a no go for a start.

I then got more in to my quadcopters so got a cheapo syma x8c with FPV, Möbius and GPS and hardly get chance ti use it, cloud proof but instead its just been raining constantly.

My just give in and take up chess again.

It hasn't been good, has it? And it may get even worse. Could it be that the Earth is warming up and our that our air is coming from over the Atlantic (and for me the North Sea)?
post-38669-0-42882700-1440801350.gif

We could optimize our situation a little though: move those calendar events for birthdays and other social obligations to nights with a full Moon. That would help a bit.

I have an observatory but ATM it's separated from the house by a muddy and slippery bog :(  Whenever a spell of dry weather arrives (next summer?) I must make a big effort and lay a gravel path.

The trouble is that you can't even use an obsy when its constantly overcast. I have to set up every time and I agree with Steve that, after a while, you begin to lose the will to set up. Last night we had about an hour of clearish skies early evening but by the time you set up there would be no time for any imageing. I have made the effort to get up early morning when the forecast has said that it will be clear only to discover that it is 100% cloud cover so I can't be bothered to do that anymore.

I am hoping for some clear skies Tuesday night so that would be my second night out in January - hard to believe!

Peter

These long wet spells do happen in the UK. I remember going back when I still had a house in Derbyshire and it literally rained every day for six weeks. It's easy to say, I know, but these spells do eventaully go away! Chin up!

Olly

PS If it's any consolation it's raining here, too, today.  :hmh:

I am looking forward to Comet Catalina later this month that's is if the weather clears for a short time, will be able to use my Binos at the very least. The Bins obviously provide a zero setup time, not as good as imaging but I'll take what I can at the moment.
I have also mentioned this is other posts but I definitely look to image more in the summer months. Whereas this used to be regarded as downtime for most imagers it is the only time where the weather seems to reasonably okay, it does mean late finishes but that's the payoff.

Agree with Peter when he mentioned last night was clear for a while. This was slightly unexpected so I looked at my weather app and it brought me back to reality, cloud was due at 9pm which the UK weather duly obliged...

I think at the moment a quick viewing session with either Bino or the telescope is what's required. I know I have become too focused on imaging at times, sometimes its nice to just observe though granted even this is very difficult to achieve at the moment.

This is what has dramatically increased my opportunity to image and observe. My 80ED on an adjustable MDF mount. If I see the Sun, Moon, conjunction etc, I can grab it, set it up on a table, wall or the trailer on my drive, and be imaging or observing within a couple of minutes. 

post-20257-0-81735500-1452524639.jpg

The great thing about this hobby is that there is room for other hobbies :icon_biggrin:

I think I am at once a month for DSO observing this season, but I am just relieved that I got a cracking view of the Orion neubla, I was starting to think I would miss the boat this season!

Solar, my favourite, was fine for me, 70-80 sessions in 2015 without trying that hard.

Good luck everyone for a better 2016.

Archived