Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rain

bobfou

Its a very very unlucky time to get into the hobby right now.  I was so lucky when I bought my scope, the jet stream was behaving itself and I got lots and lots of viewing in.  I achieved first light within 1/2 hour of getting home on a lovely afternoon moon !  

The first year I got so many views, this year has been rough to say the least.  There is currently no sign of an end to this continual bombardment of weather fronts as the longer term forecast pretty much has the jet stream oscillating front after front onto us.

On a more positive note, between fronts when the jet stream drops south, the free floating particulates in the air are at a low, the transparency should be good so these small in-between sessions should be taken advantage of.  It takes finer planning as sudden downpours are never that far away.  

My interest remains high even in times of frustration, however I do feel a little sorry for people who got scopes over the festive period and have not had a good opportunity to really cut their teeth on this great past time.  The good times will come, I am personally looking forward to a window of opportunity that lasts more than 3 hours :)

Times like this often allow me to grab the Burnham's Celestial Handbooks from the shelf, and gain some inspiration from the late Robert.  

On a more positive note, between fronts when the jet stream drops south, the free floating particulates in the air are at a low, the transparency should be good so these small in-between sessions should be taken advantage of.  It takes finer planning as sudden downpours are never that far away.

Very true! I've tried to get out there between the showers and have seen some lovely astronomical sights with the 15x70 binoculars.. There hasn't been enough time to get the scope out, collimated, LP screen constructed, warm gear on...

On a positive note I have had a few fab views of the moon - an added frustration is that I'm trying to replace some rotten decking supports  with concrete ones underneath what will hopefully be my viewing platform and of course I hampered by rain. 

Very true! I've tried to get out there between the showers and have seen some lovely astronomical sights with the 15x70 binoculars.. There hasn't been enough time to get the scope out, collimated, LP screen constructed, warm gear on...

I've used my binoculars more this winter than ever before. They are invaluable at times like this.

El Nino is messing up the normal world weather patterns.

Places that are drought get rain and vice versa.

Then there is the NAO and other oscillations that either coincide or don't and

we get what appears to be abnormal weather patterns.

Scopes have nothing to do with it, just gotta be patient.

Archived