Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Iridium Flare for a while

I set my PDA to signal me for the time, and made it outside to see Iridium 76 light up at -1 in the WSW. I didn't get out last year at all to see any, but I have about 85 total satellite observations in my book, which tells me I last saw this satellite in June, 2003. I'm going to try to wake up for Iridium 50 this morning. That's one I've never seen.

Thank you, Carol. I got myself up at 3:45 this morning to see Iridium 53, at -2. I wasn't sure if it would be high enough, at 30 degrees, to clear the trees to the east of my house, but it just made it. That's one I haven't seen. Only 26 to go.

Got a very nice view of Jupiter to the south, but too low to get my scope on it without moving it. It was worth the 45 minutes it took to fall back to sleep.

I do have a membership at one, but I haven't been there much. I can only do the bright stuff from my back yard. I got up at 3:30 this morning to add another one to my list. We saw two -7 flares at CSSP, one of which was new to me.

The ones that are appearing in the wee hours of the morning now will be available in the evening in winter, when they are usually clouded out.

Can someone please enlighten me on the iridium satellites. I take it they are all now inactive.?

Were they intended for some communication network, and if so, why the short life?

How many are there in total, and how long until orbital decay removes them, if at all?

Now that they are primarily interesting for their periodic bright flashes, I can't remember their original purpose.

Cheers.

Ron. :D

Ron,

They're part of a global satellite phone service, and it's still operational, there's a bunch of low earth orbit sats that give complete global coverage.

Sam

They are still in use. The original Iridium corporation went bankrupt in the '90s, and they had planned to deorbit all the satellites, but new investors appeared in the nick of time, and purchased the corporation, lock, stock and satellites. About seven new satellites have been launched since then.

They orbit at about 890km, in six polar orbital planes, 30 degrees apart, with eleven operational satellites in each plane. So, there are always six paths going up, and six going down, around the globe, and the satellites are about nine minutes apart, so you have coverage wherever you are on the globe.

Oh, by my count, there are 78 operational satellites, including spares.

Cheers WH. Carol was correct, you are all clued up on these babies. Now I have read your post, it stimulated my brain cells in the memory department, and recall a little of what you said.

I knew their future was not good, but the reprieve part I didn't remember, or never read or heard about. I wasn't aware of their orbital details, or how many there were/ are.

I'm sure they were deemed a nuisance at one time, but they seem to be gainfully employed now.

Thanks again.

Ron.

Archived