Narrowband

What's your favorite constellation and why?

Jepjep

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orion I suppose due to its spectacular appearance and the interesting and challenging objects that it contains. I do have a soft spot for Perseus though, one of the first constellations I took notice of. Wonderful naked eye streams of stars and even better in a widefield binocular.

Andromeda, for its famous galaxy - our nearest major galaxy, and a neighbour in our Local Group.  Not only that, it also has two satellite galaxies.  And finally, the Andromeda Galaxy and our Milky Way are going to collide in about 5 billion years.  They say that when this happens, collisions between the myriad stars will not take place because they are so thinly spread!  Fascinating!

In legend, the beautiful Andromeda, daughter of Queen Cassiopeia, was chained to a rock and about to be eaten by a monster, but was rescued in time by the hero Perseus.

Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Bootes, maybe not the most interesting constellation out there but it's the first constellation I ever identified the first day I had my telescope. Arcturus is an important and beautiful star for me, brings back a warm thoughts.

Archived