Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's your favorite constellation and why?

Jepjep

Hello there, I would just like to ask you if you can tell me your favorite constellation and why? Let's share some information about why it's our favorite.

Mine's Orion because It is easily seen and easy to recognize celestial bodies especially Rigel, Betelgeuse and the M42 (Orion Nebula).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is Orion as well. It was the first constellation I could pick out as a kid. It has a cool shape, and it's easy to find targets in or around Orion. Taurus and M45 are easy to find from there also.

Cool, took me a while to find and identify M45 and saw Hyades afterwards

Orion for all the reasons above!

But another favourite is Sagittarius... So many fabulous targets and the fact that the constellation points to our galactic centre....

Wow, didn't know sagittaurus points to the milky way's center...

Sagittarius is wonderful, but it's very low from the UK so I don't get to observe it often.

Only for that reason I'm going to say Cygnus. It flies high overhead in summer with the Milky Way streaming through it, with wonderful dark rifts to be seen on a late July night for example.

Not only that, but it contains two of my favourites. The North America Nebula and the Veil Nebula, doesn't get much better than that [emoji3][emoji106]

I don't really have a favourite. It varies by time of year. But the other night I got a chance to look at Orion briefly in the dark Cornish skies. It really is magnificent isn't it? For the first time I noticed Orion's bow - a curving ark of stars to his right. I could pick out one or two interesting objects through bins around Orion also. The Rosette nebula, Christmas tree cluster and a little cluster again just north of Orion's bow whose number eludes me just now.

I suppose Orion has to be it for all it contains. It's like the plough (or big dipper if you like), recognizable to all but with brighter stars. I do like to see the summer triangle as well. I know that's bits of three constellations but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Lyra, beautiful geometric shape, vega is a brilliant star which has had a mojor role in the history of astronomy. Also i love the ring nebula; the first nebula i ever observed due to the time of year that i bought my first 'proper' telescope. I also think its a really nice name, probably related to the fact that i love phillip pullman's dark meterials books!

Mike

I'm afraid I'm rather fickle, it depends on the time of year. At the moment it has to be Orion for all the reasons given, but other constellations have there charms too, Casssiopeia and the summer delights of Cygnus and it's neighbours to name a few.

Good question. I think Cassiopeia for me as it contains tons of objects (mostly open clusters) and is useful for hopping to M31 and the double cluster, which are both beautiful.

A lovely constellation but neck-cricker for us Dob owners!! :D

For me, it's a toss up between sagittarius and scorpius. I was lucky enough to see them from Oz where they were at zenith. Truelly one of the best views I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, from my uk garden I don't get to see much of this any more so I'll settle for cygnus up here in the north :)

I don't really have a favourite. It varies by time of year. But the other night I got a chance to look at Orion briefly in the dark Cornish skies. It really is magnificent isn't it? For the first time I noticed Orion's bow - a curving ark of stars to his right. I could pick out one or two interesting objects through bins around Orion also. The Rosette nebula, Christmas tree cluster and a little cluster again just north of Orion's bow whose number eludes me just now.

Interesting that you call it his bow too, that's what I've also know it as, but recently read that it was a shield - anyway, beside the point for such a fantastic constellation that is definitely one of my winter favourites.

Urea Major has some nice objects, and also has the well know plough asterism which was one of the first I learned to recognise and helps guide to the north star so has a lot of history, plus the fact it is visible all year round (guess that makes it a little less elusive than some of the others though)

Archived