Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

orion25

NGC 884 Perseus Cluster

A perennial favorite, one of the two magical open clusters in Perseus known as the "double cluster". I took 10x30 second subs, no darks or flats, with my Nikon piggybacking my Orion 127 Mak-Cass, drive on. Considering getting a focal reducer for my cam so I can get both clusters in one shot.

ASTRONOMY%20-%20PERSEUS%20DOUBLE%20CLUST

Clear skies,

Reggie

• Like 2

Very cool image, Reg. Perhaps you can read a good guide to focal-reduction? Though written around the MallinCam, the prinicples are the same for any camera/scope:

http://www.mallincam.net/uploads/2/6/9/1/26913006/focal_reduction_for_dummies.pdf

I'm glad you have some sky at night. We're socked-in, as usual.

Have too much fun -

Dave

• Like 1

Very cool image, Reg. Perhaps you can read a good guide to focal-reduction? Though written around the MallinCam, the prinicples are the same for any camera/scope:

http://www.mallincam.net/uploads/2/6/9/1/26913006/focal_reduction_for_dummies.pdf

I'm glad you have some sky at night. We're socked-in, as usual.

Have too much fun -

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I'll check out the link. This imaging thing is hard to shake. I take a few shots and I want to take more, and buy more equip, but I gotta keep a watch on my wallet. I was warned about this slippery slope!

Wishing some clear nights to come your way, soon. I'll get out my powwow drum and send up some chants (for real!)

Reggie

Nice image.

Thanks, laudropb. This and its companion are such a beautiful sight. I couldn't resist taking a shot  :icon_biggrin:

Very cool! Let me venture a guess - Cherokee?

Sante Sioux here.

All the best -

Dave

Ho Ka Hay!

O-Siyo! Lots of Cherokee descendants down here. I make yearly pilgrimages to the Cherokee Reservation in North Carolina. Beautiful and inspirational place near the Great Smokies. Next year, I'm looking forward to seeing the big solar eclipse from there. Cherokee, N.C. will be in the path of totality. Gonna be a mystical experience!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rotatux
      Another test shot for brand new lens (same night as other tests of the same lens).
      Again, main stars and their colors are not distinct enough.
      Gear: Olympus E-PL6 with Panasonic 25mm/1.7 at F/2.5 on poorly-tracked panoramic head and static tripod
      Capture: 16 lights x 10s x 1600 ISO, master bias
      Site: deep country 26km from Limoges, France
      Sky: good (not measured, usually SQM around 21.4)
      Processing: Regim 3.4, Fotoxx 12.01+
    • By RJ901
      NGC 1528 at 150x

Spent just under 45 minutes at the eyepiece, so ran up against the issue of field rotation (really for first time in my limited sketching experience) and realized the importance of not only anchoring features to certain areas within the eyepiece, but also (and probably more importantly) using the relative locations between 3 and 4 stars at a time to make as accurate a sketch as possible.
    • By wimvb
      The double cluster up and close. This is almost as it's framed by my camera. Only stacking edges were trimmed.
      Imaged during a full moon on December 4.
      Details:
      Scope: SW 150PDS (750 mm fl) on a SW AZ EQ6, unguided
      Camera: ZWO ASI174MM-cool at -30 C and gain = 0
      R: 55 x 30 s G: 54 x 30 s B: 62 x 30 s (Total integration time: 85 minutes)
      Processed in PixInsight.
      The Double Cluster consists mostly of blue-white super giant stars. The older red stars looked unnatural when I tried to use more colour saturation, so I kept processing to a minimum. No star reduction, but deconvolution to make the stars "pop" a little more.

(click to enlarge)
    • By coatesg
      I took these images on Sat 25th Nov from here in W Oxfordshire. I've got the widefield setup running now using a RPi3 running KStars and Ekos. This controls a modded, uncooled 350d (with Baader filter) and a serial shutter cable, an Arduino motor focuser (as a Moonlite compatible focuser) and the Losmandy GM8 it all sits on.
      Images were taken through a Canon 85mm f1.8 EF lens at f4.5, exposures were 45 x 300sec (3h45m total) at ISO400 through an IDAS P2 filter. The field is a whisker over 15x10 degrees. Processing was in PixInsight and a bit of work in Photoshop to reduce a bit of amp glow that didn't calibrate out fully.
      Fairly pleased with this (though the Heart and Soul have come out maybe a little red - the colour calibration uses PI's PCC tool, and the IDAS filter might throw it a bit), but there's some other areas of interest coming through in the image. Annotated image attached but there are a few other bits that PI doesn't grab - there's a small area of reflection nebula (LBN 142.14+01.97) to the left of Sh2-202 that's just coming through. Also, unlabelled are Stock 2 (between the Heart and the Double Cluster) and for the interested clouded out astronomer, galaxies Maffei 1 and 2 are visible in frame just below the Heart (labelled as Sh2-191 and Sh2-197). 
      Thanks for taking a look!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.