SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Germany

Snowfall

Hello (or good evening/morning) everybody!

I'm from Germany, currently 22 years old and joined the forum for a specific reason:
I just want to start with stargazing.

I unfortunately don't have the budget yet to buy equipment, but one of my biggest wishes in life is to be a part of a stargazer community.

Maybe one day go on a trip with some other night-sky-lovers and watch the stars.

I hope that through, or better with this forum my wish comes true one day.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Nice regards,

Snowfall

Hi Snowfall, probably the best way to go about stargazing (if you have the patience). Spend time reading up on the wealth of help and advice on here then when you are ready to buy a scope you can make an informed choice based on what you intend to do with it, AP or purely observing, what kind of light pollution you have etc.

You can learn a fair amount of astronomy by going out and checking out the heavens with just your eyes. Also get the book "Turn Left at Orion" and use it to help finding stars and constellations.

And last welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the Lounge Snowfall. Some good advice above. It's time well spent learning the night sky. Get to recognise the constellations and other star patterns and how they move with the seasons. This will stand you in good stead when you do get your scope. It would be well worth downloading the free "Stellarium " programme so you can do some virtual skygazing which many of us do when cloudy.

Good luck and keep in touch

Jason

Hello everybody and thank you for the warm welcome!

Also, thank you very much for your helpful answers right away!

I definitely will start to inform myself here via this forum and I might have some questions here and then if that's alright(?).

Also @ Ro3bert, thank you for the book! I will look it up and plan to get it soon!

I hope I'll keep in touch with you guys here and start with observing with your help and advice.

And I want to apologise for my bad English though, I try my best here in the UK forum. :D

Hello and weclome to the forum :)

+1 for Stellarium

You can start learning your way around the sky with 10x50 binnoculars. There are quite a few target that are best viewed with binnoculars and it will give you the chance to get into the hobby for a small price. The money will not be wasted as you will use them long after buying a scope anyway.

Clear skies !

Welcome onboard, Snowfall. As others have said, binoculars are probably one of the best ways into astronomy, allowing you to scan the skies for faint fuzzy objects, watch the moons of Jupiter change position each night, search out star clusters that look like jewel-boxes in the night sky, and explore the ever changing phases of the Moon.

Martin

Hi from Edinburgh in the UK. As usual great advice above for you especially in regards to Stellarium - It's invaluable. I found that when I first started with a telescope from my back garden that I was getting a little frustrated trying to find things to look at. I joined a local astronomy forum who meet up with telescopes, camera's and binoculars at a local site outside of Edinburgh and this was where my journey really began. The guys and girls i met seem to have endless patience and getting out into the field with them really helped me to understand both the night sky and how to best use the kit I had at the time. 

I would recommend finding a club near you and heading along for a visit as stargazers love nothing more than showing off their kit and talking about it. That way whenever you do have a budget you will have an informed opinion on what you want to buy. All the best

Andy

Thanks everyone for your nice welcomes and your advice! Well I absolutely did not think of that and I'm going to be a binocular, I think this definitely will help me to get into this hobby and help me to get a proper start.

Also thank you very @Hitman for your advice, I think it definitely will be the best to find a group close by so I can meet up with them to explore the night sky.

However as I said before in my start post, this has always been my wish - just to find a group of other stargazers to meet up with and go on a field trip and explore the night sky.

I think I'm in the right community here, also thank you for your offer to help me out whenever I have questions!

So, thank you for your warm welcome guys and have clear skies! :)

Archived