Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Demon Barber

Galloway Autumn Star Party 2016

Hi Denis ,Abernethy was a great success checkout the  drone footage in the SGL post. Really dark skies hopefully it will be an annual event. Catch up with you atGalloway.Hope your keeping well.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Been a bit quiet on this thread considering the SP is only a couple of weeks off.

whats happening with regards to the pies? Are they to be consumed on Sat or Sunday or for breakfast lunch and tea everyday ?? Do we need to put an order in for them? Do you want some money up front - paypal  gift or bank transfer.

Starting to get giddy like a kid at Christmas in anticipation of this event and really looking forward to meeting up with all the Galloway star gazing muckers?

I will arriving lunchtime on the Thurs - Sunday. Might pop in and see everyone on the Tues as I wiz past on my way home after visiting my Mum in Norn Iron, then drive back up on the Thurs ?

• Like 2

Hi Ian,you must be fond of a car journey or two!You could always drop off yer tent and the  Galloway tent erection crew will watch and provide comments as it sees fit :icon_biggrin: as to your erection skills.

Pies  are on , there will be enough pies for some home treats,was planning Saturday night  we can . play it by ear as to the weather.

Only a few electric hookups left any one reqiring one had better give the campsite  toot sweet.

No cash needed up front,just order on the day.

Might have to ration consumption,but i`m sure there will be plenty left over for collimating big dobs.

Looking forward to catching up with you ,have a safe journey,

Regards

Mike

38 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Ian,you must be fond of a car journey or two!You could always drop off yer tent and the  Galloway tent erection crew will watch and provide comments as it sees fit :icon_biggrin: as to your erection skills.

Pies  are on , there will be enough pies for some home treats,was planning Saturday night  we can . play it by ear as to the weather.

Only a few electric hookups left any one reqiring one had better give the campsite  toot sweet.

No cash needed up front,just order on the day.

Might have to ration consumption,but i`m sure there will be plenty left over for collimating big dobs.

Looking forward to catching up with you ,have a safe journey,

Regards

Mike

Just now, Uplooker said:

There is nothing wrong with my erections!!!!!!

I was gonna say steady on there Mike we've not even got there never mind downed any water of life :evil62:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

There is nothing wrong with my erections!!!!!!

Too much information !

Yeuck :p

Erection of tents..... You have all made it very obvious how YOUR minds work, disgraceful the lot of you!!

• Like 4

Hello Guys

Well the time is nearly here, only two weeks to go and its nearly time to get the gear ready for the GSP.....

Very much looking forward to meeting you and meeting up with a couple of friends who I have met before and of course try and make some new ones!

I have just got a Canon Astromodded dslr camera and I was wondering can any of you guys give me some help please?

Normally I have just been viewing the night sky through my telescopes and now I would like to do a bit of astrophotography, so some guidance would be greatly appreciated....

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Edited by hadyn42
spelling error

There are several stargazers who use dslrs. So you will get some help I am sure Hadyn. 

Derek

5 hours ago, hadyn42 said:

I have just got a Canon Astromodded dslr camera and I was wondering can any of you guys give me some help please?

Normally I have just been viewing the night sky through my telescopes and now I would like to do a bit of astrophotography, so some guidance would be greatly appreciated....

I will be on site from 27th Oct so should be able to help.  A few questions in advance

1) will you be using a laptop with your camera?

2) Will you be using a guide camera?

3) Which scope do you plan to use with your camera?

I currently image only with a DSLR and a Megrez 90 and guide with a QHY6.

Andy

13 hours ago, AndyKeogh said:

I will be on site from 27th Oct so should be able to help.  A few questions in advance

1) will you be using a laptop with your camera?

2) Will you be using a guide camera?

3) Which scope do you plan to use with your camera?

I currently image only with a DSLR and a Megrez 90 and guide with a QHY6.

Andy

Hello Andy

Thank you very much indeed for your message.

I should be arriving on site at about 3 pm on Monday 31st October and staying there until the morning of Monday 7th November....

The answer to your questions:

1) I am hoping to be using my laptop running windows 7. I have downloaded EOS Backyard software and have tried it on my 700D just in my living room so far and it works okay.

2) I do have a guide camera, which I haven't used as yet as a guide camera, its a Lodestar x2 mono. I have tested it out about 3 weeks ago by just connecting it to my telescope and it seems to be working okay by viewing a sort of "live sky view".

3) I plan to use the camera just on top of my telescope (SW ED80) at first. But I do plan to use it for guiding in the near future and I have the right connectors etc to connect my 700D straight to the telescope though and it seems to work okay Andy.

I have a HEQ5 Pro mount. I don't have a guide scope as yet, but as mentioned above I could possibly use the ed80 and just have the 700d mounted on top of the telescope and possibly have the X2 connected to my telescope as a guide camera, if that sounds okay?

Very much looking forward meeting you and the other chaps there!

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Edited by hadyn42
spelling error

Hi Hadyn,

Just curious, what route are you taking to get to Drumroamin / Dumfries & Galloway?

Are you sailing into Heysham or Liverpool?

51 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Hadyn,

Just curious, what route are you taking to get to Drumroamin / Dumfries & Galloway?

Are you sailing into Heysham or Liverpool?

Hello Ian

Thank you for the message.

I will be arriving at Heysham at about 12.15pm Sunday 30th and heading up the M6 and I will be staying the night in Dumfries before heading to Drumroamin. Not used to doing much driving so that's why I am having an overnight stay, ha, ha....  I will be doing a bit of shopping at Morrisons in Dumfries beforehand, needing some supplies for the event Ian.

Looking forward to meeting you all.....

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Ah OK, sorry, was just being nosey? Ah the joys of the Steam Racket Company?

There is a reasonably sized Tesco situated in Castle Douglas, just a slight detour off the A75. Castle Douglas is about 45 - 1 hour from the campsite.

There is a Spar and Co-OP in Wigtown, only 10 mins from the site. People nip out for additional supplies and will certainly pick up any stuff you need or run out of.

If you are travelling in a camper van I reckon it would take you 4.5hrs to get to the site from Heysham.

Look forward to meeting you too.

Edited by Uplooker

28 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Ah OK, sorry, was just being nosey? Ah the joys of the Steam Racket Company?

There is a reasonably sized Tesco situated in Castle Douglas, just a slight detour off the A75. Castle Douglas is about 45 - 1 hour from the campsite.

There is a Spar and Co-OP in Wigtown, only 10 mins from the site. People nip out for additional supplies and will certainly pick up any stuff you need or run out of.

If you are travelling in a camper van I reckon it would take you 4.5hrs to get to the site from Heysham.

Look forward to meeting you too.

Hello again Ian

Thank you for the valuable information.

I will be in my campervan which is now just over 14 years old now and only take it easy on the roads due to its age, that's why I am having an overnight stay.. Its more like a 3 day camel ride the mileage I have to cover to get to the site. Us  Manxmen, we can only drive 32 miles before driving off the island into the sea in any direction, ha, ha....

The trouble with me is once I get setup in the van I don't like to break camp unless I am heading for home, I suppose I could always ask the guys for a lift if I was to be cheeky! Are there much in the way of entertainment on site besides the pie eating contest and Adrian doing some whiskey tasting, ha, ha?

When do you arrive at Drumroamin and are you in a campervan too, there you go, you have got me being nosey now Ian.

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Less than two weeks to go now

By this time I should just be uncovering the mirror for its first glimpse of skies north of the border. 

Some more scope mods to do so will be trsting those to check all is well. 

Be good to see everyone arrive and I shall be there from around midday to help anyone turning up later on.

Hi Hadyn,

unfortunately I will only be there from lunchtime Thurs - Sunday.

Nae worries about people either taking you or picking stuff up from the shops.

Camper van, no such luck, tent for me ?

• Like 1

Hi Hadyn,

The people who attend Galloway will do any shopping you need..... provided there is a bottle of whiskey on the list!!!

Julian and myself will be there when you arrive.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Condon

Booked myself in for the nights of Friday 4th and Saturday 5th. Looking forward to it and happy to help any newcomers as best I can. 

Graham 

• Like 5

Hi all

I am going to this years star camp for the first time. I have been to the last two Kielder star camps and know a few people from there so I hope there will be someone I know. If not I am sure you are all a friendly lot. I will be arriving on Tuesday 1st and unfortunately only staying 2 nights. I am really looking forward to it as I will be on my own this time (packed the wife off to Glasgow to see a friend). Unlimited scope talk and observing/photography.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, D Wright said:

Hi all

I am going to this years star camp for the first time. I have been to the last two Kielder star camps and know a few people from there so I hope there will be someone I know. If not I am sure you are all a friendly lot. I will be arriving on Tuesday 1st and unfortunately only staying 2 nights. I am really looking forward to it as I will be on my own this time (packed the wife off to Glasgow to see a friend). Unlimited scope talk and observing/photography.

Hi,

I might just see you, maybe not, as I will only be arriving on the Thursday lunchtime.

I am sure you will have a great time and the rest O them will make you feel very welcome ?