Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Party 2016

A few have departed this aft and the camp is a little quieter for it. 

At present the wind is gusty but forecast to drop around 6 so may grab some much needed sleep before the extensive nights viewing.

Hope all have a safe homeward journey and return next year for more of the same with clear skies.

I have today seen evidence that there is a seating area in Mike's caravan which I shall have to note as something spectacular in my viewing logs. 

Here's to a good night for all that are staying 

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyable few days. Nice to meet some new faces and see some familiar ones. Well done to the organisers. I think my lasting memories will be the Veil through Damian's dob and Sunderland winning a match on Saturday! A couple of pic attached which I took on Friday night - Helix and then on Saturday, what else could it have been for November 5th - The Fireworks Galaxy NGC6946 and nearby cluster NGC6939.

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

Nice pics Graham and the helix was also good in the scope although I have to agree the veil was spectacular. 

The wind has dropped and here's what the skies look like tonight with my phone during dusk.

20161106_171832.jpg

20161106_172046.jpg

20161106_171832.jpg

Looking good so it's tea at Mike's then out dusk till dawn fingers crossed.

Arrived back about 1730hrs after another wonderful Galloway. Great meet new and old faces.

Thanks to everyone involved in the organising, especially for the pies and peas ☺️

Had some good views, especially through Damian's triplet ?

IMG_0634.JPG

Hi gang,

looks like I missed some of the fun.

I had to leave by the Wednesday but I saw enoug clear night skies to know that I will/should return sometime.

Anyway I did see some wildlife - namely a Golden Eagle on Tuesday and I got a few snaps of dso's.

I those immortal words -I'll be back.

thanks

Robert

Well folks I'm glad you have  a ball and the weather has given you a break.  I'm totally disorganised at the moment but enjoying all the banter, pictures and images.  I intend to forge ahead with my obsy project in the new year and have aquired the rails now to fit the sliding roof, which will probably now have to wait till spring time before the cut is made. I have sourced a rotating optics dispenser for the single malt whisky tasting session and a have few drawers suitable for cultivating Jaffa cakes...so  with luck and an empty wallet i hope to grace your prescence next year.  clear skies to all the remainers !

Stuart

Great night last night.

Not the clearest night I've been under but I turned in at half five with what I can truthfully say is my longest viewing report ever.

Breakfast and a shower to sort me out yhen it's pack all the gear in the car and home ward bound which will be a sorry journey leaving such nice skies.

Got home 20mins ago and just got my feet up with a cuppa.

The car unpacking will have to wait until the morrow when I've a bit more energy but not a bad trip home. Hope everyone else got home safely.

It was great to catch up with old faces and meet new ones. A more friendly star party I doubt you'll find anywhere.

I've booked for February's camp from wednesday to monday so here's to the next one.

Damian 

Few pic's from around the campsite taken on friday

SDC15983.JPG

SDC15986.JPG

SDC15984.JPG

The dob waiting for the drop of full darkness

SDC16006.JPG

SDC16007.JPG

Not quite the full compliment on those photo's as more turned up including some young guys for one night to see what it was all about. Kieran's video from a couple of years ago helping to spread the word.

Hi All

Got back home about 4:30 pm after another magic Galloway Star Camp.

Sunday night does it again.

Thanks to all attendees for making the event, what it is, and especially to Mike for organising.

Roll on February. See you there.

Hi Mike,

Well another wonderful Galloway Star Party was a great success, a high number of observable nights was achieved, the pie night was great, those tasty pies and mushy peas went down a treat, given the skies, the whiskey tasting sessions were at a minimum.

I arrived home safe but very tired at 18:30pm, I was surprised to see snowing falling on the Pennines.

I woke this morning to a heavy frost and took my dog, Bruce over to the Common, Lesley no doubt will be out walking Bud through the beautiful woods at the top of the road.

A big thanks to Julian for the help given, packing my heavy tent away yesterday morning was most helpful, tutoring me in the techniques of imaging..... etc.....

For those who want a good meal at reasonable prices, the Harbour Inn in Garlieston is definitely worth a visit... Booking is advisable.

I will be back for another look at the wonderful dark skies that the Dunroamin Camp Site has to offer.

Thanks Mike and Lesley for providing a great week of unforgettable skies.

Cheers

Adrian

Mike thanks for another unforgettable star party Damien and Steve thanks for your help to put my tent up complete with ultimate chair and 42000 guide line! Many  thanks jo for the butter. I am looking forward to the next one already and will post pics when I get round to processing them.

Mike

Sat in work miserable thinking off the great 3 days i had up in Galloway.

Thanks must go to Leslie & Ralph for keeping a spotless campsite for us to enjoy and to Mike for organising.

Looking forward to Febuary already.

Kenny

On 26/10/2016 at 23:14, Demon Barber said:

Ian will you give Kenny a text message to the effect that he has a pm from me i`ve lost his phone number

Cheers

Mike

Yet another great week, still to process images taken but on first look seem not to bad, cheers again mike for the mount power mod, not bad work for 4 in the morning under red light condition. Nice seeing all the guys again and the malts, cheers Damian for amazing views of veil and orion nebs.  Hope to sen you all Feb. 

Hello Guys

Just arrived home here on the island about 2 hours ago.

I must say that I really enjoyed the adventure of attending the Autumn GSP. A big thank you goes to Mike and all the folk who helped him organise the event and also Lesley and Ralph for running such a lovely campsite and of course the pie and peas etc evening on the Saturday night

It was great to meet up with some old friends and I think I may of made some new ones too....  Adrian and Julian were a great help in tutoring me in how to use varies astromical software and also the demo on Polemaster setup, so thanks to you too guys!  Dai, thank you for taking me out into the hills exploring new foot paths for your return trip.  Adrian, well what can I say,  thank you the runs out in your car on the birding trips and also for introducing me to the whiskey tasting sessions!

Well the skies were fantastic,  I have not been out of my bed for so long before when observing and trying to take pictures of the night, the location was spot on as too were the folk there.

I am looking forward to attending the Spring event with my wife Christina next year, but I think Adrian may put the blockers on me.

If anyone who didn't attend the Autumn event, please try to attend the Spring event as I you will not regret it..................

Thanks again guys for putting up with me.......

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Hi Hadyn,

Glad you arrived back safely on the island. It will be great to meet up with you again.

Julian also arrived back in Surrey and is unpacking his trailer.

I hope to practice imaging over the coming months in preparation for the Spring Star Party.

Keep in touch.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi All,

Thanks for the organisation, I had a great time, under the wonderfully clear skies (if a tad windy at times), but now I've unpacked, with even a bonus of a forecasted clear start to the evening, so I can re-align the gear.

Thank you all !!

Hello All,thank you for all the kind words,a great big thank you must go to Lesley and Ralph for all their hard work to make the Star Camp yet another success,and on a personnel note Lesley could not have done anymore to make life easy for me,i was as you know struggling at times.

A big thank you also goes to Derek and Annette,Jim and Dawn for all the help the provided over the course of the week.Phil and Kenny as always a pleasure to have your company.

Thank you everyone who made the journey up north and made the Galloway Star Camp 2016 a resounding hit :icon_biggrin:. To everyone i did not get around to say hello or goodbye apologies.

Damian and Ian provided the entertainment,,as always the pie eating contest being the catalyst.

We continue to attract astronomers from far afield,and they travel many miles to attend ,among long distance travelers,are Adrian,Julian and Hayden who between them must have clocked up many miles.

Once again there were many scopes on display ,from a 22"Dobsonian,to an intercontinental 175mm Refractor.

There was a lot of knowledge on offer and quite a few people took advantage of this to try out new processes.

We were visited by the Keilder campsite manager who went away impressed by all he had seen.We must be doing something right!!!!1

The success of the Galloway Star Camp continues due to the enthusiasm of everyone who attends,once again THANK YOU to all who attended,looking forward to next years Star Camps. 

Regards

Mike

Archived