SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Party 2016

9 hours ago, matt-c said:

At the risk of provoking an us vs them debate.........how do you choose between Galloway or Kielder?

I'm going to attend my first star party and I can't decide which one. Is it a matter of location (closest?)that decides it? Or more friends attend one than the other?

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who attends....or even does this as a hobby to sway me :clouds2: so I'd be coming alone to either (wow that sounded sadder than I'd thought :tongue2:)

I've been to both places and enjoyed them but this was daytime galavanting.

Decisions decisions 

Cheers

Hi Matt,

There is certainly no Us & Them between Galloway and Kielder, but you should definitely make Galloway :icon_biggrin: 

Having followed your posts on SGL & UKAI you are very much an imager. Get you kit out and running to catch those photons and then wonder around the site enjoying the views through the many great scope, including Damian's huge 22" pie munching canon.

Oh and they are a friendly bunch.

Look forward to seeing you at Galloway

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Galloway mercifully has fewer biting bugs,and it will be cold which keeps them quiet,there`s always a rub down with the malt of your choice,

:happy11:

Regards

Mike

PS Forgot to tell you Kielder one`s are bred by the SAS up on Otterburn military ranges!!!

In october and november they are well and truly beaten by those hardy astronomer types and the cold! 

I've never seen one at either the Autumn of Spring event.

The horrid creatures normally don't last much further than a couple of glasses :grin:

Hello again All

Thank you guys for your comments. I am really looking forward to coming to the GSP and meeting you all.

I should be arriving on site at around 2.30pm on the Monday 31st. I am thinking of bringing my 9.25 SCT and my ED80 refractor along with a couple of cameras....

Adrian: Thank you for the offer of making a meal for me on Monday night, I should be okay thank you, I will be bringing pleanty of food with me thank you.

Do any of you guys like Manx Kippers, if so I will bring some with me?   I was only kidding about being a TeeTotaller, so I too may bring some Anti-freeze with me!

Can I ask what gear you guys are thinking of bringing to the great event please as I think its good to see what gear is going to be setup for us semi newbies to look at?  I started a thread about 5 years on this site asking what astronomy gear were the guys bringing to the Lucksall site star party, call me a nosey beggar if you like! :icon_biggrin:

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Hi Hadyn,

I always bring too much stuff. Keep saying I am going to cut back - but hey ho.

Usual setup consists of-

SW 300 PDS on a Dob base

150P for imaging on an NEQ6

TAL/ PST Stage 2 for Ha solar

Various EPs and cameras

Oh and maybe, actually definitely, whiskey (Irish:icon_biggrin:)

Well you seem to have a good selection there Hadyn

If you do forget yours there will be a few others to look at and through.

I shall be bringing my usual selection of green and black eyepieces and a small reflector. :grin:

Hi Matt,

I go to both Kielder and Galloway. Both events are really good. Both are very dark sites. Roughly equally dark. Kielder is more enclosed by trees and hills whereas Galloway is very open, big skies and beautiful by day or night. Both are frequented by equally interested and fairly knowledgeable astronomers. You will enjoy some of the best views anywhere in the UK at either. 

Damian has not been to Kielder Star Camp as he said but he may not be allowed to attend with his Dual Purpose DOB Pie Measuring Device as it has really been accredited for The Scottish Pies only  so far. Once his forthcoming alterations have been made he may then reapply for permission to attend Kielder. You may notice we take astronomy and pies with almost the same importance. The only thing more important is the whisky/whiskey.

The organiser Mike is very welcoming, as are we all. But judging from his comments on getting "kindred spirits" from Lidle's, well he needs a bit more educating regarding the "Water of Life".

The South Shields Astronomical Gazzette may have to produce a special on astronomers and Whisky shortly!

Derek

18 hours ago, hadyn42 said:

Hello again All

Thank you guys for your comments. I am really looking forward to coming to the GSP and meeting you all.

I should be arriving on site at around 2.30pm on the Monday 31st. I am thinking of bringing my 9.25 SCT and my ED80 refractor along with a couple of cameras....

Adrian: Thank you for the offer of making a meal for me on Monday night, I should be okay thank you, I will be bringing pleanty of food with me thank you.

Do any of you guys like Manx Kippers, if so I will bring some with me?   I was only kidding about being a TeeTotaller, so I too may bring some Anti-freeze with me!

Can I ask what gear you guys are thinking of bringing to the great event please as I think its good to see what gear is going to be setup for us semi newbies to look at?  I started a thread about 5 years on this site asking what astronomy gear were the guys bringing to the Lucksall site star party, call me a nosey beggar if you like! :icon_biggrin:

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Usually about 8/9 different malts!

Oh sorry,          you meant Scope stuff! Erm Well now, QSI CCD, WO scope, 10 Micron Mount and wife to help lift it all and do the cooking. :evil4:

Thanks for the information, I think I've made my mind up and will be attending Galloway! As for the pies and dobs you've lost me but I'm sure all will become clear.

As far as gear I'm strictly an imager and I'll be sticking to my newly acquired 200mm canon 2.8 possiby something abit shorter aswell (wide a holic). I'm quite looking forward to seeing the observers scopes as I've never got on with it, I blame a wobbly beginner tripod and lots of neck ache but who knows maybe it will stick.

Booze wise I understand whiskey is the tipple of choice and is often my first port of call but is it blasphemy to bring something clear made from potatoes ? 

Matt,  Good decision,would that be potcheen/poteen ? Homemade by your good self, There will i`m sure be an Irishmen along shortly to put me right, i`m sure there will be willing taster`s lining up to pass judgement.

Regards

Mike

I was thinking abit further east like some really strong vodka something to keep me "warm" :tongue2:

Does anyone attend this event alone? My wife tried camping with me the other night and after the dog popped the air bed I don't think she'll be up for it anymore ha.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi You lovely Folk,

Yesterday I travelled up to camp at Castle Point in Rockcliffe on the Solway Firth, Bird watching being the main reason...

So what's new...

The Petrol Station on the A75 by the first Roundabout into Dumfries has been shut and is a big pile of rubble.... so if you need to refuel, there is a petrol station at Gretna Village ( 300 miles from Watford and 90 miles from Dunroamin Campsite!! ) which is usually one of the cheapest in the area, alternatives, Morrisons or Tesco in Dumfries.

Secondly, those who purchase some supplies at Lidl in Dumfries next to the Fire Station, need to think again, it is closed and is being restructured behind a big fence.

Thirdly, the police speed van was out again near Mouswald on the A75. The A75 is as the "regulars" know has a number of dangerous stretches, especially with tractors pulling out of fields.

Looking forward to the dark clear autumn nights at Scotland's Premier Star Party....... 

Mike,  You are correct it is Poteen, but to be authentic it is usually distilled in an Irish Bog away from the preying Garda eyes.....

Cheers

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Hello again All.

Please can anyone tell me is there likely to be a Bring and Buy sale at this Star Party?

Just enquiring to see if there are any astronomy goodies up for sale at the event..

Very much looking forward to the event Guys.....

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Hi Haydn,

We do not have a bring 'n' buy stall. There are occasions when members sell and buy items individually.

If there was anything special that you are after, you could post a request here and somebody attending may have it for sale.

Trust you are in the best of health.

Cheers

Adrian

38 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Haydn,

We do not have a bring 'n' buy stall. There are occasions when members sell and buy items individually.

If there was anything special that you are after, you could post a request here and somebody attending may have it for sale.

Trust you are in the best of health.

Cheers

Adrian

Hello Adrian

Thank you for the information.

All is well here thank you.

I hope you are keeping well too and I can see you are getting out and about quite a lot by your posts. Very much looking forward to seeing you and attending the GSP and of course doing some wildlife watching, as I beleive that there are lots of Geese and other birds etc about at the end of October in the fields and bays nearby.

Take care,

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

On 30 July 2016 at 10:59, Adrian Condon said:

Secondly, those who purchase some supplies at Lidl in Dumfries next to the Fire Station, need to think again, it is closed and is being restructured behind a big fence.

Hi,

Looking at the Lidl website, the Dumfries store has re-opened with a new bakery.......

(last time I was in Dumfries they were removing the big fence around the store)

The reason I am attending Galloway instead of SGL XII is because Daz has cancelled my cooked breakfasts at Lucksall because I beat him to an item in the For Sale/Swap section, plus Galloway is way darker and whiskey flows more easier in the rarified air!

Cheers

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

Archived