SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon Filters

Hello again, I am looking to buy a moon filter , as I understand I could either go for a variable polarising type or a fixed transmission neutral density type , obviously the variable type is dearer , so do go for the variable to cover all levels of transmission or go for a fixed one ? If it's the latter what do you recommend as a level of transmission ?, it would be a 1.25 filter for a Skywatcher Explorer 200p /1000mm focal length f5 Newtonian , thanks .

Personally I use a moon filter to reduce glare especially when the Moon is near full. The one I have is a cheap Celestron (ITEM # 94119-A) with a plastic ring. As a filter it works fine, however it is often a real pain to screw into the EP. I recommend paying a little more for one with a metal ring!

In fact I am now using a Green 58A filter with 24% transmission for the Moon when it is most intense. Others which are quite useful for lunar observation are the Light Blue 80A (29% transmission) and Orange 21 (46%)

Sunglasses work fine too!

I use the Baader neutral density 0.9 filter and find it works well, but having said that for most of my lunar sessions I prefer to have no filter. It is only when the Moon is approaching or just after full that the glare becomes a problem. These are not usually the best times to view.

Depends on the phase for me ,I found certain filters are better/worse. but here's my most used filters,I have a 16" reflector fl1170mm .but I usually stop it down to 12" for the moon I have looked at the moon since day one ,I use these a lot of the time the Wrattan ones are not for imaging they for viewing ( I have used the red ones for imaging the moon with good results but they are,not ideal)

I'll start with colours W = Wrattan

W#82A blue

W#38A. Blue

W#25A. Red

W#23A. Red

W#11. Yellowish green

W#57. Green

I do use the variable polar ones there not bad at all some times a neo,filter but not that much all filters coloured or not depends on the phase the fuller the moon the darker the filter for me

Pat

In addition to the use of a Moon filter, whether variable or fixed, an off-axis mask can also be used to dim the Moon.  The dust cover of the 200P has an off-axis clear-aperture built in, as seen in this image...

http://www.forthimage.co.uk/wp2/wp-content/uploads/P1000679.jpg

One of the two smaller "caps" is actually a cap, and removable.  However, I suspect that the telescope would only then be a simulation of either a 50mm f/20 or a 60mm f/17 refractor, and perhaps not worth the while, but an option nonetheless.

I have a variable polariser...

post-47381-0-54868400-1452269804.jpg

Actually, a variable might just be the best value of all... http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-variable-polarising-filter-125.html

An  ND filter would be my choice, since a variable filter contains two polarizing filters. To get the same image degradation, each of the two polarizing filters would have to be twice as good as a single neutral density filter.

I dont use a Moon filter either. I dont see the need for them. The only time you really need one is when the Moon is full (or close to). This is about the worst time to observe the Moon as all contrast is washed out by the brightness.

I have a variable polarising filter, but only use that for solar observing.

Please tell us that isn't the only filter you use for solar observing.....

God no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I have the essential ND3.0 filter also and a solar continuum filter............but yes, ND3.0 for complete safety.

Thanks for bringing that up. I'd hate to give out false information and have people think all they need is a polarising filter.

Most Heshel wedges sold come with the ND3.0 filter already installed (always check with the retailer if you are unsure). Mine didnt,so i had to buy it seperatly.

God no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I have the essential ND3.0 filter also and a solar continuum filter............but yes, ND3.0 for complete safety.

Thanks for bringing that up. I'd hate to give out false information and have people think all they need is a polarising filter.

Most Heshel wedges sold come with the ND3.0 filter already installed (always check with the retailer if you are unsure). Mine didnt,so i had to buy it seperatly.

*breathes sigh of relief* :D

Some years ago, one of my 'scopes came with a solar filter that you placed over the eyepiece before looking through it, a very dangerous thing that got a nail hammered through it before being binned, but I wonder how many people were using one and putting their eyesight at risk?

Moon filters are not expensive.   I say get one, an Orion 25%.   For $20 it was not a big investment.   Then you can try with our without.   Everyone should have one.   If you want to get a fancy one, get it later.

And never the twain shall meet. Some people like them, others dont. There really is no right or wrong. As you say........fairly cheap and no great financial loss in trying one.

The 1st (and last) moon filter i owned relocated to Texas early 2015. Last i heard it was loving life in the Lone Star state.

$4 a filter isnt bad. Hope they serve you well. 

Maybe 9 yrs ago i had a full coloured filter set and gave them away as i didnt use them. Last year i bought a similar set for 50-60 euros and havent used them since (i was drunk,it was late and it was my birthday).

http://www.astroshop.eu/omegon-color-filter-set-1-25-6-pieces-/p,11333

Incidentally, you'll rarely if ever see a mention of the ability to use a Moon filter when observing the Sun, the latter with a SAFE solar filter in place and in addition, and within the advertisements.  But users most certainly can, and do.

I've had these colour filters for a number of years, and I've yet to use a single one.  Lumicons, made in Japan, save the ever-popular #80A in the square case which is emblazoned "USA"...

post-47381-0-85427600-1452300695.jpg

The 80A was back-ordered at the time.  It arrived a year or two later, and after I had forgotten all about it.

Archived