SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heated dew shield

Hi there, any thoughts on heated dew shields for a Celestron Nexstar 5?

I've got a roll-up shield with a velcro seam but wondered if it would be worth heating it as well as last nights imaging session was affected by dew even with the sheild.

What are your thougfhts, pointless, invalauble, make your own, the best one is.....

Many thanks

David

i think people do use a heated band around the top of the OTA, to keep dew off the front lens.   Usually, a dew sheild is sufficient though, and I would only use   a heated band when necessary otherwise you will suffer from thermal currents

I have made a dew heater for my LX90 dew shield. I have fitted it to the inside of the shield just in front of the corrector plate with the wiring coming through a small hole in the shield.

This makes the heater an integral part of the dew shield. The method I have used is nichrome wire which gives a heating to about 6 to 8 watts. I fitted the wiring with a phono connector plugged into a dew heater controller, see link http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-four-channel-four-port-dew-controller.html, you can get cheaper single or dual channel controllers.

I find it fine and can drop the power once the dew has cleared.

Dave

I use a heat strip and a dew shield... Same effect as a heated dew shield. It definitely keeps the dew away but you need to be gentle with the heating, since when I push it too hard it does seem to create thermal currents.

Archived