SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A nice clear night and one happy beginner!

After seeing it would be the first clear night in a while (and for a while!) in the UK, I decided to just go out and grab some data. Was very surprised when they came out like this :-) Really enjoying my new 60D and Photoshop CC 2015 as they really do help; especially with the hundreds of tutorials online teaching you! Thanks you to all who help with videos.

Orion. My next mission is to add more data (shorter exposure) to show the core and it's stars better. 

get.jpg

Comet Catalina and a meteor (still have to process Comet Catalina data yet :-) ) but I can now say I have captured a meteor :-)

get.jpg

My newest try at Andromeda with the 60D and Photoshop CC 2015. Very pleased with the new result.

get.jpg

I am jealous about Catalina.... I would like to get it myself but weather is bad, no companion to get out in the morning and time to see it runs out :-(

How do you tell its a meteor? Why not a satelite?

Carsten

Also from the same night, my first attempt at the Triangulum Galaxy. Will be trying this one through the telescope next :-) (This was at 300mm)

http://www.astrobin.com/235776/

@ calli, I only knew it was a meteor as I saw it, but didn't think I had caught it in the frame. If I hadn't seen it then I wouldn't have known if it was a meteor or an iridium satellite.

Well done on catalina. I spent about an hour last night trying to find it, to no avail though.

Anyone got any advice on finding it?

I use Stellarium (free planetary software) to find the closest star to it. I then use this star with my GoTo on my telescope. If you don't have GoTo or are using binoculars (I can JUST see it as a green smudge in 10x50's) it will still get you pretty close.

Archived