Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Obviously doing something wrong here....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be tricky. I've heard of people moving the secondary mirror closer to the focuser, but that's not something I'd want to try. Eyepiece projection might be a bet. Billy.

You  don't move the secondary to correct lack of focus, it is the primary mirror that can be moved up the tube to gain a little more focuser travel.

With that particular telescope the t adaptor can be screwed directly on to the focuser tube. The SLT130 has a 2" focuser, I believe, so you should be able to remove the 1.25" eyepiece adapter to reveal a t thread on the other part that goes into the focuser (video at about 3:50) (a photo of your focuser with and without camera attached might be helpful)

Just to echo what others have said and add my own experience...  

I have a Skywatcher 130P (so almost identical to the Celestron). At first I could only reach focus on my Canon 1100D in combination with a x2 barlow - after all, it is designed for visual observing. The SW eyepiece holder has an M42 external thread (similar to what can be seen in Dan's photo above) which can fit directly onto a T-adapter. This helped but still wasn't enough.

So I opted to move the primary mirror (i.e., shorten the tube) initially by about 20mm. This was fine until I later bought a coma corrector, and had to cut a further 15mm off the length! It's now pretty useless for visual... But great for AP.

Actually, shortening the tube isn't that difficult - just takes a bit of courage (or madness!) to make the first incision.

John 

"The SW eyepiece holder has an M42 external thread"

Could you explain what this means?

sorry I'm well aware I'm asking dumb questions here !

Just to echo what others have said and add my own experience...  

I have a Skywatcher 130P (so almost identical to the Celestron). At first I could only reach focus on my Canon 1100D in combination with a x2 barlow - after all, it is designed for visual observing. The SW eyepiece holder has an M42 external thread (similar to what can be seen in Dan's photo above) which can fit directly onto a T-adapter. This helped but still wasn't enough.

So I opted to move the primary mirror (i.e., shorten the tube) initially by about 20mm. This was fine until I later bought a coma corrector, and had to cut a further 15mm off the length! It's now pretty useless for visual... But great for AP.

Actually, shortening the tube isn't that difficult - just takes a bit of courage (or madness!) to make the first incision.

John 

"But great for AP"

what does this mean?!

again apologies for my dumb questions. I wish I could find a step by step guide as well as a site for the terminology that you guys are using!

Archived