Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

leo82

Double cluster of perseus

Is this viewable through binoculars?

With the clear skies tonight I attempted finding it. I searched all around perseus and up to cassiopea but could not find it.

My binoculars are 10 x 50.

Many thanks.

Yep, as long as your light pollution isn't ridiculous you should see it in binos.

Draw a line between the end star in Cassiopeia (Segin) and Mirfak. The DC is just off this line, closer to Cass.

faac9c590e3312af565d666f2bc6590a.jpg

0c5e2cfe756c582f9d6b73f8eabf5d23.jpg

• Like 1

Binoculars are the best instrument for viewing the double cluster as long as your skies are reasonable. From a dark sky site you can see them without optical aid.

• Like 1

Is this viewable through binoculars?

With the clear skies tonight I attempted finding it. I searched all around perseus and up to cassiopea but could not find it.

My binoculars are 10 x 50.

Yes, it is viewable, bu tyou need to know what you are looking for. Some hints here.

Thanks for the replies. At least I'm in the right area. I will just have to keep searching for it.

Will I see it as two definite clusters with many stars or will it be two hazy patches where all the stars seem to merge together?

Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies. At least I'm in the right area. I will just have to keep searching for it.

Will I see it as two definite clusters with many stars or will it be two hazy patches where all the stars seem to merge together?

Many thanks.

Should be two hazy patches in binoculars, perhaps a little like this....

d95bde8c3afb2af5f906cc23f9b367c6.jpg

Thanks Stu, I will keep this in mind next time I go out to search for it.

The double in Perseus is one of a select few objects which look best in bins. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

They look pretty spectacular in a widefield scope [emoji3][emoji106]

• Like 2

I searched for this last night and I still couldn't find it, it's beginning to become my nemesis!

In Stu's most recent screenshot, you'll see an elongated ring of stars in the top half (but still inside the red circle). This ring is very distinctive in binos and shows that you're in the right place. The two little fuzzy patches are right next to it towards the main stars in Perseus. Good luck! :-)

Thanks Paul. I will have a look for the elongated ring of stars that's in the screenshot  and hopefully be drawn to the double cluster. If I find miram as a starter point would that mean I would come to the clusters first before the elongated ring of stars?

That's right, and that's exactly how I locate it too (i.e. from Miram).

• Like 1

It looks pretty amazing in my 12" f4 too esp from dark skies

It looks pretty amazing in my 12" f4 too esp from dark skies

In my defence Shane, I said widefield scope not widefield refractor [emoji6][emoji6]

• Like 1

I fully agree with Luke.

You can lose yourself in the Double Cluster through Bins.

And whilst your in the Area,Check out Melotte 20,the 'Perseus association' around Mirfak-another Binocular highlight.

• Like 1

Last night was clear so I decided to try and find it again following the advice above I went straight to the right area, I saw what I think was the elongated star pattern around 5 stars going down vertically with 2 stars underneath them going horizontally. To the left of that a little bit instead of seeing the odd random star there was alot of stars quite close together and then just below them and to the right was the same again but not with as many stars. Is this the double cluster? I couldn't really see any haze, maybe my skies just aint dark enough?

I shall check melotte 20 out next time I get chance. Thanks.

Edited by leo82
  • Like 1

Is this the double cluster?

Yes! Well done!

Now, at the other end of that "elongated ring" is a stick-man figure (upside down in the evening at this time of year) of 8th & 9th magnitude stars. That is Stock 2, aka the "Muscleman Cluster", who appears to be "ripping" that elongated ring of stars away from the PDC. :icon_biggrin:

Woohoo another one in the bag! Thanks, I will definately check out the muscleman cluster, now I know exactly where to look.

• Like 2

Like so many celestial objects,once you've found them the first time,they seem to register on the internal sky map.

I'm sure that you'll find it easily next time,and the time after that-it really is a classic object that you will find yourself returning to again and again.

• Like 1