Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 from a night of firsts

Tim

Well. This pic dates back to the 31 March this year. As I recall, it was the first night I stayed out ALL night in pursuit of this new hobby. It was the first time I had properly put my new self mod canon 350D to the test. And the first try of my new before the lens EOS clip CLS filter.

I had spent the earlier part of the night taking photies of M57 (Ring Nebula), marveling at the difference in red colouration between the 400D and the modded 350D. Just then I noticed on Stellarium that M27 (Dumbell Nebula) should be visible in the sky, and so at 03:44 I Slewed to that and took a snap. In the corner of the frame was the faintest trace of red, and by careful adjusting and snapping I managed to get M27 dead centre. I took 27 exposures of 150 secs each @ iso800, 3 of which were ruined by the dawn.

So here is a stack of them, with the best 50% being used. I have only recently discovered how to properly use DSS, and so when Rob Hodgkinson helped me with this pic at Kelling he was working on a stunted picture (Sorry Rob!). As soon as DSS was finished, this version looks a whole lot better.

Of all the pics I have taken so far, this is the one I am most pleased with. Well worth staying up all night on the day before a 12 hour shift of stock taking :shocked:

C9.25 @ F10 on a HEQ5 Pro (for sale), Guiding by WO 72mm FD, 350D, stacked in DSS, cropped in PS, very slight adjustments to levels.

Funny to think that this one has been sat on my laptop for nearly two months, I wonder what else is lurking there!!

Cheers

TJ

http://ukastronomers.com/Tim/image/6291_large.jpeg << full version

6290_large.jpeg

Superb TJ! Finding something like this forgotten in my laptop, would make me recheck every single raw file in it, just to make sure nothing similar is going to be deleted!! Would be extra sad :cat: Good job on that, and a lovely colour :shocked:

Marius

Archived