Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whats up there this evening!

sjpp

Hey guys,

Had some really good feedback on my first post a few days ago so thanks again for all who contributed!

So as I said previously I've just been bought a 5" reflector and I've been focusing mainly on observing the moon and Jupiter as these seem to be the easiest objects to find in the sky at the moment!

As all of the planets are early morning I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction on finding say.. a relatively easy to find M42 or something else interesting to observe in the late evenings when its nice and clear like now!

What are the best things to view on lower magnifications?

Im in Devon and its really nice and dark/clear where I am!

Many thanks in advance!

1: I'm jealous of the dark skies

2: Pleiades looks impressive at lower magnification. Quite high in the South Eastern sky at the moment. Andromeda Galaxy is a firm favorite, and as you've already mentioned, M42, also rising out of the east. Download yourself Stellarium and they should be easy to find. Let us know how you get on.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stellarium/

M42 is very easy to find. Looks roughly south at around 10pm and Orion will be there. M42 is the middle star in the sword, below the three stars which form the belt.

b1a9ab7e90dd12e43761ca090fd509e6.jpg

796492dc56193621f21fe5a7fea1a657.jpg

The Pleiades are also easy to find, and very nice at low power.

5ee4b31dc120b86d4b2eae53d49ffe82.jpg

Awesome replies already - thanks again guys. Will post to let you all know how the evening/early morning goes!

Looking at getting both a webcam for planet imaging and an adapter for my canon 60D for the deep stuff so as soon as I do that i'll try form some sort of beginners/newbie gallery!

Cheers!

Just inside after spending a while looking at M42 on my new 5" refractor too. ( Small world !). Couldn't see anything I could identify as M43 mind you. Also tried to see M36, 37 & 38 but no joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very small world ha! I've just come back in from a nice little hour outside - M42 found really nicely - amazing view! If only our eyes could see the clouding in colour!

Had a bit of a "point and look" at a few orange stars too! Now just inside checking out Stellarium to get an insight on what to have a look at next until the planets are back up in the morning!

Think i may be on for a late late night ha.

Awesome replies already - thanks again guys. Will post to let you all know how the evening/early morning goes!

Looking at getting both a webcam for planet imaging and an adapter for my canon 60D for the deep stuff so as soon as I do that i'll try form some sort of beginners/newbie gallery!

Cheers!

If you have got a 60D then you are already set up for planetary. It's perfect in true movie crop mode at 60fps.

Orion is well featured were I am but what do I need to be doing to see the nebula I have skywatcher 1309 do I need to use that barlow or not using a 25mm wide got me loads just trying to get something amazing 2nd sight was great for me tonight but craving some colour.

25mm on its own is probably best for the nebula, but try the Barlow to get a better view of the Trapezium in the centre.

You are not likely to see colour I'm afraid. I've seen green in a good 4" refractor but generally you need more aperture, 10 or 12" say to see a green hue to it.

Archived