Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Solar Observing Equipment

paulastro

I must have missed this thread well here's mine I'd love to get my hands on a better Ha scope although this one has given me some great views in the past. Problem is it looks like a finderscope when mounted on the AR127L..

59b981ebc88ba_Solarsetupcropped.thumb.jpg.1eff9d3d86477a275f686acfa92840a9.jpg
Being used in anger at an outreach event back in July

DSC_0186.thumb.jpg.fc5f013ac21f8b9904eef9c7cacdf475.jpg

It doesn't image to bad either.

59b983dab8c21_sunlores08.thumb.jpg.7984611995f8a2941fcb4d2551341973.jpg

59b9840b87ac8_sunlores02.jpg.11d4f4a8637700242583822d20cad140.jpg

59b9841b7e3cf_sunlores10.jpg.442c7bae5d055367eb4ebb430f398463.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Great setup Tich! I see what you mean about the little Lunt! Looks tiny!! Bet the views are still nice though :) 

Cheers Stu it makes my Aussie mate laugh when I call my Lunt "my Ha finderscope!!" But yeah it does the job nicely & last Friday at an outreach event I had some exceptional views with it in the evening, after all the rain lol.... The surface detail was the best I'd ever seen with it & the proms put on a good show too, sadly the weather was against me that weekend so never managed to get out with it this time.

Edited by tich
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tich said:

Cheers Stu it makes my Aussie mate laugh when I call my Lunt "my Ha finderscope!!" But yeah it does the job nicely & last Friday at an outreach event I had some exceptional views with it in the evening, after all the rain lol.... The surface detail was the best I'd ever seen with it & the proms put on a good show too, sadly the weather was against me that weekend so never managed to get out with it this time.

Often the case that the skies are good after a rain shower to clear the crud out of the air. Nice to get some outreach in, we had a event planned but weather was rubbish so we had to cancel. Will keep trying though.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Often the case that the skies are good after a rain shower to clear the crud out of the air. Nice to get some outreach in, we had a event planned but weather was rubbish so we had to cancel. Will keep trying though.

It's been a very busy year for me this year since march we've had at least one outreach event to do sometimes it's been 3 a month, still got a few more to do before the years over too. Most of them have been solar events but we have had the odd nigh time one too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tich said:

It's been a very busy year for me this year since march we've had at least one outreach event to do sometimes it's been 3 a month, still got a few more to do before the years over too. Most of them have been solar events but we have had the odd nigh time one too.

That's excellent going!! Nice one!

• Like 1

On 15/01/2017 at 16:25, alanjgreen said:

Yes, the "diamond" is the new version, mine is the previous steel track. I imagine  the size is identical. They have just improved the focuser mechanism.

Just in case this information might be useful to anyone, I don't think the newer diamond Steeltrack Newtonian version will fit the LS60 - think it's just the previous model

On 12/09/2017 at 22:16, Floater said:

I can reach focus with the WO 20mm using 2x Barlow or 2.5x PM but not with the 1.6x Barlow provided with the BV. But still enjoying the hunt with the Lunt ... ??

Sorry! Couldn't resist.

On 12/09/2017 at 22:47, tooth_dr said:

Congratulations on your purchase. I've had good success with mine using a skywatcher binoviewer, with the included 2x Barlow lens, and a pair of 26mm Meade plossls.  This gives a nice full disc view.  Ignore the different versions of the 26mm. Even though it worked ok I now have a matching set!

IMG_6455.JPG

As expected WO binos were just shy of reaching focus in the Lunt 60 with the 1.6x Barlow unit. Can't find any UK outlet selling the 2x unit - whether it be a WO or Skywatcher. All part of the fun with a new solar scope - buying the scope is the easy part.

1 minute ago, Highburymark said:

As expected WO binos were just shy of reaching focus in the Lunt 60 with the 1.6x Barlow unit. Can't find any UK outlet selling the 2x unit - whether it be a WO or Skywatcher. All part of the fun with a new solar scope - buying the scope is the easy part.

I got the last set from one supplier at the start of the summer there, bit crap you cant get something!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

I have to refine my initial statement, Mark - and this may open a can of worms ...

The '2x Barlow' with which I can reach focus is actually the lens element unscrewed from an inexpensive (cheap) Barlow and screwed onto the BV nosepiece. Now I know all the stuff about this meaning it's only about 1.5x, instead of 2x, and how that doesn't chime with the supplied 1.6x unit not allowing focus. I'm just telling it like it is: no focus with the 1.6x (as you have found) but focus with the lens element from a 2x Barlow and with the 2.5x PowerMate.

I will be happy - no, delighted - if someone can explain that. ???

• Like 1

How about this for low tech...:tongue2:

DSC02543.thumb.JPG.58b74842964d9652199edf02e078e1e9.JPG

Solar funnel ( an adapted plastic funnel which slots over an eyepiece and projects onto backlit projector screen material) - worked great for the eclipse in a little borg mounted on to the little pronto mount @Steve let me borrow for the eclipse :biggrin:

I also have some rather more expensive solar options.... :icon_rolleyes:

Helen

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Helen said:

How about this for low tech...:tongue2:

DSC02543.thumb.JPG.58b74842964d9652199edf02e078e1e9.JPG

Solar funnel ( an adapted plastic funnel which slots over an eyepiece and projects onto backlit projector screen material) - worked great for the eclipse in a little borg mounted on to the little pronto mount @Steve let me borrow for the eclipse :biggrin:

I also have some rather more expensive solar options.... :icon_rolleyes:

Helen

It may be 'low tech' - but, wow, it's in high quality surroundings! Lovely to see. ?

Yes, Ade, the blurb said they had 'a small number' of these so I knew Mark would get one if he wished even if I ordered. A lot of the kit on Astroboot is 'one-of' and it would have felt like stealing if I had taken the only one. ??

• Like 1

Here is my new compact lightweight WL solar travel setup.  

A WO ZenithStar 66SD (thanks @CraigT82) with Herschel wedge and Baader Mk IV Zoom. 

The problem I've encountered with this setup is that the 2" wedge is so heavy (750g) and the tube so short (388mm f/l) that its impossible to balance on an AZ mount and I've managed to misplace my dovetail counterweights (I really should learn to pack things away in their designated spot after use).  

So rather than get new weights I decided to opt for a 1.25" Lunt Wedge (thanks @garryblueboy) which is nice and compact and will fit in the WO aluminium case with the OTA and should also make the setup somewhat better balanced and avoid the need to tighten the clutches on the Alt axis quite so much.

Edit: The 1.25" wedge should also give me more in-focus rather than the approximately 3mm that I have at the moment. 

Ade 

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG

Edited by AdeKing
add text about in-focus and spelling
  • Like 6

I'll stop hogging the thread after this - but now have the double stack unit and Baader Steeltrack focuser for the LS60. The Steeltrack (thanks to Alanjgreen on the forum who gave me the idea) - is the old Newtonian model, and fits perfectly. Very nice upgrade for binoviewer users or imagers. The new Diamond Steeltrack NT does not fit the LS60. But was able to pick up a (brand new) old version from 365 Astro for under £150 - they still have stock at this reduced price if anyone's interested.

Had a couple of sessions with the new scope which have been interesting - going to save comments for a proper report once I've done some more observing, and once I've managed to get the binoviewer focused. 

IMG_0727.JPG

• Like 5

had a bit of a upgrade, added a starwave 102 classic f11 for Whitelight, I'm well impressed with it. its quite a nice little scope.

so kit- ed80, quark chromosphere, asi120mc for HA and proms.

Starwave 102, lunt wedge, 1200d for Whitelight.

hope you all have clear.  charl.

59ca557dd1f44_latestsolarsetup26-9-17.thumb.png.0c2e15d58dc86a88f2b404e99888831b.png

• Like 7

On 12/09/2017 at 22:16, Floater said:

I can reach focus with the WO 20mm using 2x Barlow or 2.5x PM but not with the 1.6x Barlow provided with the BV. But still enjoying the hunt with the Lunt ... ??

Sorry! Couldn't resist.

Pleased to discover that focusing WO binovs with 1.6x Barlow (in Lunt LS60) is easy with the replacement Steeltrack NT (old model) focuser - see pic - much reduced light path  (almost 2cm) over the stock GSO unit. More expense of course, but worth considering if the 2x Barlow delivers too much magnification - and great deal available at 365 at moment

IMG_0730.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

Pleased to discover that focusing WO binovs with 1.6x Barlow (in Lunt LS60) is easy with the replacement Steeltrack NT (old model) focuser ...  and great deal available at 365 at momenT

Can you give me a link to that please, Mark? Can see only NT focusers for Newts on the site?

Edited by Floater

4 hours ago, Floater said:

Can you give me a link to that please, Mark? Can see only NT focusers for Newts on the site?

Hi Floater, it's actually the newt (NT) focuser you want - not the frac one. Baader # 2957030 -  2" NT Steeltrack Crayford, bf 30mm. £149 at 365astronomy. All you do is remove the newt adapter plate it comes with (with a hex screw) and the focuser fits the LS60 perfectly. If you look back at alanjgreen's posts on page 3 of this thread there's a bit more information. It's a terrific upgrade for binoviewing - so much more robust than the stock focuser - and the light path reduction is a bonus.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Hi Floater, it's actually the newt (NT) focuser you want - not the frac one. Baader # 2957030 -  2" NT Steeltrack Crayford, bf 30mm. £149 at 365astronomy. All you do is remove the newt adapter plate it comes with (with a hex screw) and the focuser fits the LS60 perfectly. If you look back at alanjgreen's posts on page 3 of this thread there's a bit more information. It's a terrific upgrade for binoviewing - so much more robust than the stock focuser - and the light path reduction is a bonus.

Fascinating result using a focuser off a Newt!