SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Solar Observing Equipment

paulastro

Nice one mate

I used to just take the eyepiece out and (looking from the side not directly into the eyepiece holder) light up the drawtube and pop the eyepiece back in. The sun will be somewhere in the field once you practice a couple of times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Nice one mate

I used to just take the eyepiece out and (looking from the side not directly into the eyepiece holder) light up the drawtube and pop the eyepiece back in. The sun will be somewhere in the field once you practice a couple of times.

I will try that next time I usually use the shadow but not that accurate.

1 minute ago, Moonshane said:

It used to work for me. Don't look right down though. I don't think it's bright enough for damage but leaves a 'flash mark' for a few minutes.

Cheer`s Shane I will let you know how I get on.

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Nice one mate

I admit to doing this myself sometimes but it certainly isn't the safest way to locate the Sun :rolleyes2: 

I use the TV Sol Searcher on my Lunt 50 and I have another one on the Synta-style shoe that I can switch from scope to scope as needed.

Not cheap at fifty quid for the finder and shoe, but new eyes are much more expensive :wink:

1 hour ago, Merlin66 said:

Just fit a bit of Baader film over the finder and just use that??

That's what I do.......

I also have a Baader film cap that I use with my SW RACI Finder, which is also very effective.

2 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Assuming the ND3.0 is fitted as it should be there's no real risk at all. In fact, it's only necessary for comfort to add other filters, not for safety.

Very true.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too sure... probably the Lunt 1.25 with built in NDF as it will fit into both scopes ? But if I get a 2" SCT cliclock this may change to a 2" wedge ?

Edited by Pig

On 09/07/2017 at 16:47, garryblueboy said:

Tried out my new solar mount and tripod today just right there was some lovely proms today quite a bit of activity I have two set ups one single stacked Lunt 60mm the other is the double stacked  Solarmax 60mm  II I was thinking of selling one but not sure any more I may just keep them both .

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

Love this mount. Is it driven? Looks great with the Lunt 60