SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Solar Observing Equipment

paulastro

Here's mine - not that I get much chance to use it, as sunny ☀️ days seem as rare as clear night skies ? 

?

Lunt now with double stack (definitely a big difference) and TV85 with Baader Herschel wedge. 

I find the Baader zoom works well on the Lunt and also think the Lunt zoom is pretty good as well.  

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

• Like 8

Need some better pictures of this but this is my solar kit which I'm delighted with.

Tak FC-100 with Baader Cool Wedge, Mark IV Binoviewers

Vixen 102mm PST Mod with Antares Binoviewers. In final stages of acquiring this scope!

Lovely views through both scopes, high power Ha views were excellent although I only had a pair of 25mm Orthos, could have done with the 32mm Plossls which I left at home!!

IMG_0244.JPG

• Like 13

Surprised to see Nick lurking around Solar gear. The sun aint a Double Star!!!?

Lovely set up Stu. Is a Tak a bit like overkill for white light? Ok, that was envy talking...... ? sorry.

Paul 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Lovely set up Stu. Is a Tak a bit like overkill for white light?

It's a good question. In my opinion, I reckon the excellent figure on the lens gives you more in terms of high magnification views. The granulation cells show up beautifully at x200 in the binoviewers when the seeing allows it :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's a good question. In my opinion, I reckon the excellent figure on the lens gives you more in terms of high magnification views. The granulation cells show up beautifully at x200 in the binoviewers when the seeing allows it :)

When I've used my Lunt 1.25" herschel wedge with my Tak DL the detail shown has been impressive. I think good lens figuring pays dividends day and night :smiley:

• Like 2

On 3/11/2017 at 07:53, Sunshine said:

Hello Everyone! I'm so happy to be here and hope i am welcomed! my name is Eddie and i am from small town Ontario Canada, i am 43 years old and have been an avid night sky observer since i can remember.

Recently i have been consumed by solar astronomy after looking through a Lunt, i couldn't believe my eyes, really, i never thought in my life i would see a solar prominence with my own eyes, it was humbling to say the least.

The bug was in place and soon i found myself fitting one into my budget (not easy, they're not cheap!!) anyway the damage is done! i joined this community in hopes that you all can guide a solar baby like myself 

and help me grow into solar astronomy as you all clearly are solar daddy's lol.

I will be relying on you to give advice on everything from eyepieces to techniques, and soon no doubt i will be looking for the best ways to photograph the sun, thanks!! 

i am including a photo of my little solar scope that could, which i hold as though its a newborn baby, and the mount i chose for this little guy which i found used after looking at many options,

this Vixen GP seems like a great little rock sturdy mount.  Thank you to all!

IMG_8405.thumb.JPG.7b24d9091a44c4f0654b5713e4573200.JPG

My Vixen GP mount is still as rock-solid as it was when I bought it over 21 years ago. Awesome mounts. Here it is shown holding my WL scope and the little LS35 I used to have

post-5655-0-62238100-1359115729_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

thanks Rhushikesh, you wont regret getting a Quark mate, amazing bit of kit which gives me the freedom to use with all my doublet Acro fracs, F5, F7.5, F9.5 and there so easy to use.  clear skys, charl.

Sadly I have read so many bad reviews that I am on andthe off about it. With currency difference and import taxes, I have to pay a lot for quark. Will wait till I get pretty sure about it.

I am planning to use it on 120mm f/5 achromat.

11 minutes ago, Rhushikesh-Canisminor said:

Sadly I have read so many bad reviews that I am on andthe off about it.

I know what you mean mate, I too was worried about getting one off daystar, but I got a 3 week trial off a friend who had just got a brand new one off daystar, and he ended up selling it to me at a good price which saved me loads of money, I got it near half price and no import tax. yer I use mine with a 120mm f5 I also use a ERF screwed into my wedge and a 50% reducer on my cam to give me a nice size image, I find the 4x barlow built into the quark can be a little too much mag when the seeing isn't too good. charl.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Quality!

What filtering do you use?

I have sent a personal reply to Moonshane, but would like to reassure readers in general that my Seymour OG filter had been removed from the scope at this point prior to putting everything away and I was not being cavalier in taking proper precautions.

Regards,

A.

• Like 2

On 31/03/2017 at 21:01, xtreemchaos said:

I got a 3 week trial off a friend who had just got a brand new one off daystar, and he ended up selling it to me at a good price which saved me loads of money, I got it near half price and no import tax. 

Wish I was that lucky!!!

I might have to put a full disc front erf...have to show the sun to people so can't take any risk.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

TeleVue® makes one of these that works about the same - for 3X the cost of these 'Helio-Pods' - which cost about $15.00 over here (and I like these better, which helps) - but they un-mount super-easy for storage or transporting.

5912850e3ef81_ST80Helio-PodSeriesg.thumb.JPG.cd15b4e2fb00329c1c4bcebc8c9c3c63.JPG

http://www.dynapod.com/dyna-hp1.html

Had a long chat with the inventor/owner. Very nice and smart guy!

Always Triple-Check Your Solar-Filters Before ANY Solar Observing! ALWAYS!

Have (CAREFUL!) Fun,

Dave

Edited by Dave In Vermont
  • Like 3