SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Solar Observing Equipment

paulastro

Thanks for that, Alan. Very helpful.

I had already decided to hang fire before buying any new EP and planned to do exactly as you suggest, try the binoviewer with only one eye! I agree with you about the magnification and don't seek to push it too high: results are always disappointing.

My Cemax 12mm 'lives' in the scope and only occasionally do I try something else. The 12 gives me a nice full disc, which I prefer.

Binoviewing has been suggested for solar viewing by many people but I'm also aware that many just don't get on with it. So only one way to find out ... Delivery due tomorrow. ?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

I have been finding the 25mm plossls with the 1.7GPC works well in my 100mm PST mod at 68x on most days and hope in a month or so the views will be stunning, especially as this is at full disk. That said I have bought a Baader classic 32mm plossl to see if the lower magnification of 53x will be a better lowest power. I'll be doing the bino cyclops check myself ASAP. I suspect that I might not get full disk though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

bear in mind that the two eye view is more than the sum of two single eye views. in other words, don't be disappointed by the single eye view, it's not the same.

Thanks, but I was bearing that in mind. ? I will make no judgement on view, just check to see what's needed to achieve focus.

I have two or three possible EPs (I think!) and will wait before pairing up. I'll also try the BV in different scopes just to learn all I can before committing funds. This is unusual for me - I usually go all in very quickly - so is this a sign I'm maturing? ? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Everyone! I'm so happy to be here and hope i am welcomed! my name is Eddie and i am from small town Ontario Canada, i am 43 years old and have been an avid night sky observer since i can remember.

Recently i have been consumed by solar astronomy after looking through a Lunt, i couldn't believe my eyes, really, i never thought in my life i would see a solar prominence with my own eyes, it was humbling to say the least.

The bug was in place and soon i found myself fitting one into my budget (not easy, they're not cheap!!) anyway the damage is done! i joined this community in hopes that you all can guide a solar baby like myself 

and help me grow into solar astronomy as you all clearly are solar daddy's lol.

I will be relying on you to give advice on everything from eyepieces to techniques, and soon no doubt i will be looking for the best ways to photograph the sun, thanks!! 

i am including a photo of my little solar scope that could, which i hold as though its a newborn baby, and the mount i chose for this little guy which i found used after looking at many options,

this Vixen GP seems like a great little rock sturdy mount.  Thank you to all!

IMG_8405.thumb.JPG.7b24d9091a44c4f0654b5713e4573200.JPG

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 8

Hello Everyone! i have a question regarding my LuntLS60THa, i purchased it used, it is in perfect condition and views are great, but I'm wondering if there may be something wrong with the tuning wheel.

The tuning wheel turns extremely easily as though there is barely anything resisting and as i turn the wheel, although surface detail and prominences are in view there is no perceivable change as i go from end to end on the wheel.

Actually as i write i am recalling i do feel the wheel spin then a slight grab where resistance increases ever so slightly but again no perceivable change across the disk as i stare carefully, and i have tried and tried, my mount is rock solid,

and my eyes are as good as a falcons so i would notice a change. If i read correct details such as prominence and filaments should alternate into view as the wheel is turned. 

Anyone have any advice? thank you!

I don't do much solar viewing but I'm running an outreach session at a local school next week so I thought I'd better check that my rig works OK. The PST belongs to my astro society, the rest is my own:

solarkit01.JPG

solarkit02.JPG

• Like 2

On 09/03/2017 at 17:42, Rhushikesh-Canisminor said:

And here is mine. Nothing fancy compared to others, but I am in love with it!

Also, my refractor is my favourite to put up a projected image of the sun. Had good response during mercury transit event for that.

_DSC0045.JPG

IMG_20170302_130914.jpg

FB_IMG_1473254083703.jpg

Really liked your final photo showing the projection.

• Like 3

Hello Sunshine,

the tuner should have some grease on it to make an air-tight seal.  Only then will you be able to pressure tune your view.  There should be a reasonable amount of resistance as you tune and the view should change from a detail-less red ball through to surface detail and then prominences and flares.  Good luck!

Hello everyone! thx for the tip Nebula, my scope is tilt tuned though, aside from that, this may be the hugest newbie question ever but are there any add on filters such as the types use for observing objects at night that would in any way enhance solar observing?

by that i mean like O3 filters and the like. Maybe not to increase detail but to enhance contrast and existing detail? thx

On 10/31/2016 at 08:26, Ben Cartwright SASS said:

I have been observing solar for about a year now, did it as a way to avoid light pollution, but the biggest thing is that sun constantly changes!!

IMG_20160327_124356336_zpsufeqenac.jpg

IMG_20161014_115917434_zps3fhwa0od.jpg

looks like a fun day! Whats the view on the big monitor like?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my 60mm Lunt with 1200 diagonal, mounted on one side of a SkyTee, nice and stable.  I got a Sky prodigy mount to use for long periods of visual viewing, the one with the 70mm frac all in red, but its hopeless. The tripod and dish type mount are just too flimsy, I wish I could get the skyprodigy/starsense head onto a more substantial set of legs but it doesn't look possible.

DSC_0843.JPG

• Like 2