Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Solar Observing Equipment

paulastro

IMG_20180117_131002.thumb.jpg.95974a7d568c1f2c5011bdc893b1723d.jpg

IMG_20180117_130859.thumb.jpg.2bd98d53e9f24908cffa8abe74a37a10.jpg

IMG_20180117_125747.thumb.jpg.6314ae673791591be762a65989503e59.jpg

IMG_20180117_125820.thumb.jpg.4431b5963eaa36b8c5f141d143c0a235.jpg

This is my new ( to me) OO VX8

Obviously a newt on the AZ4. With Astrozap Baader solar  filter.

This is my first step into the WL solar side of the hobby  . Never viewed our nearest star the sun before through a telescope . Therefore really looking forward to putting a toe into the water to see if this fascinating side of the hobby is for me. 

• Like 4

Have a look through an H-Alpha scope and you'll be hooked for darn sure! happens to everyone, i've spent countless hours peering through white light setups then one day a person let me look their H-alpha scope and i was floored!!

needless to say my bank account took a huge hit and so did my left cheek when my wife saw the bill but well worth sleeping on the couch for a week!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/16/2018 at 23:43, Peter Drew said:

My latest PST mod. It's another 6" F10 using a Istar objective, similar setup to my own version. 110mm internal D-ERF, WO dual speed focuser and two projection type solar finders.

001.JPG

Hi Peter

I've searched around the subject of your H-alpha conversions but still don't have enough info to DIY my 7" f/12 R35 iStar.

Or even know if it is a suitable donor for conversion.

So I've PM'd you in case you'd prefer to keep your exact methods a secret.  :wink2:

I'm nor sure whether this qualifies but it has a Baader solar film filter.

Mercury Transit 7" f/12 R35 iStar on an old Fullerscopes MkIV.

The transit lasted so long I fried the original VFO drive electronics!

Images from Neximage camera.

P1230494 istar 7 12  mercury crop rsz 500.JPG

mercury sun0001 16-05-09 14-05-24 rsz crop.jpg

sunspot mercury transit rsz 500.jpg

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

This is a "white light" configuration, nothing to do with Ha.   :icon_biggrin:

With the greatest respect, Sir Peter:

The thread title clearly says "Show us your Solar Observing Equipment."

Nobody stipulated H-a.

I remain Your most obedient servant, Sir...

Rusted Esq.

[Presently sans H-a.]

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

With the greatest respect, Sir Peter:

The thread title clearly says "Show us your Solar Observing Equipment."

Nobody stipulated H-a.

I remain Your most obedient servant, Sir...

Rusted Esq.

[Presently sans H-a.]

So strictly all us imagers should hang our heads in shame and exit, pursued by a Great Bear.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2018 at 16:39, Timebandit said:

Obviously a newt on the AZ4. With Astrozap Baader solar  filter.

This is my first step into the WL solar side of the hobby  . Never viewed our nearest star the sun before through a telescope . Therefore really looking forward to putting a toe into the water to see if this fascinating side of the hobby is for me. 

Don't expect too much - the sun is inactive at the moment, which means it's often devoid of sun spots and active regions - the features that are observable in white light. Have a look at 'gong ha solar' online to see precisely what's going on.

When the sun's active, the Baader film gives nice and sharp views of spots - and even a little surface detail if you use a continuum filter. It's a great and cheap way into solar.

5 hours ago, Moonshane said:

In some respects (when there's a fair bit of activity) I prefer white light solar as the detail can often be jawdropping. It's great too in Ha and good to have both but you have to work a bit harder for the detail in Ha.

5 hours ago, Moonshane said:

In some respects (when there's a fair bit of activity) I prefer white light solar as the detail can often be jawdropping. It's great too in Ha and good to have both but you have to work a bit harder for the detail in Ha.

I have Stu's amazing reports to thank for showing just what's possible with a wedge. Picked up one of the Lacerta units a few months ago but haven't had chance to use it yet. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2018 at 13:34, Moonshane said:

LoL. Unless you have a Quark....then the detail is effortless ? mind you I haven’t used a wedge with a scope that has an aperture lager than 80mm for white light..... I will get another wedge soon as they do show spots extremely well.

Edited by Pig

Hmmm, the views through that Tak and Quark must me epic, i wish i lived near you so i could sneak a peak but unfortunately i feel i would get into a wrestling match with my wife over the next credit card bill

and she's tougher than me so i better stay where i am haha.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pig said:

Just managed to get first Solar light with the Tak.... wonderful views ?

83E0F3E4-39EB-4526-B0B0-C730F016D78C.jpeg

SpecTakular set up there Shaun ?

I am not sure of the situation with a Quark. But if you can use  binoviewers with them, then I strongly recommended trying some. I am sure it would be of great benefit to solar ,as the viewing with binoviewers are just so relaxing, you can spend so much longer at the eyepiece and get so much detail. The cost is not that great also for a reasonable binoviewers set up. Plus binoviewers in the Tak would be great on lunar and alike, MikeDnight loves them in his Tak☺

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

SpecTakular set up there Shaun ?

I am not sure of the situation with a Quark. But if you can use  binoviewers with them, then I strongly recommended trying some. I am sure it would be of great benefit to solar ,as the viewing with binoviewers are just so relaxing, you can spend so much longer at the eyepiece and get so much detail. The cost is not that great also for a reasonable binoviewers set up. Plus binoviewers in the Tak would be great on lunar and alike, MikeDnight loves them in his Tak☺

Binoviewing with a Quark is most definitely possible and must be spectacular. Internal Barlow should also mean it's easy to reach focus with most scopes. 

• Like 2

I have tried binoviewers for lunar observing in the distant past when I had my 6” SCT and in all honesty I did not find them very comfortable. I must admit though the views were pretty spectacular and maybe it is something I should revisit now I have more experience under my belt..... I think they were WO and quite inexpensive ?

Edited by Pig

• 3 weeks later...