Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Going to be clear tonight BUT....

ultranova

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typically I'm feeling dreadful today so won't be venturing out [emoji20][emoji20][emoji22][emoji22]

Sorry to hear that Stu - get better soon mate.

I'm probably not going to be able to observe either. Mum-in-law is in hospital again and I'm doing the visiting runs. Still, there will be other nights.

Had such a cold day in work today I'm starved! Was going to venture over to the coast but too cold, tired and too windy.

Will try a cowardly manoeuvre of DSLR out of the bedroom window at Pleiades. Give me something to do in the relative warm.

Stupid stupid stupid. Start taking subs of the Rosette. Come out to see how things are going. Black screen. Had forgotten to plug in the laptop. After restart the cam is showing -273 deg and no image. Parked the scope and intended to restart. Hit shutdown by mistake. Now windross is installing 32 updates. I could cry :(

Stupid stupid stupid. Start taking subs of the Rosette. Come out to see how things are going. Black screen. Had forgotten to plug in the laptop. After restart the cam is showing -273 deg and no image. Parked the scope and intended to restart. Hit shutdown by mistake. Now windross is installing 32 updates. I could cry :(

it was the excitement seeing no clouds

that done it, hope you get it sorted

Well I had everything working nicely, left it running after watching the first sub download, just been out to make sure I switched off meridian flip and all I've got is grey images, turned off camera and restarted it, just watched it download a twenty minute sub OK  :cussing:

PS: Using Win10 so I've got WIFI disconnected

Dave

Murk here, hoping it will clear later.  Got as far as finishing polar alignment before the skies opened and I had to throw a cover over everything (probably putting everything out again). First time the weather and commitments have aligned since September so frustrated doesn't come close.

absolute zero? niiiice

After going round the houses and round the bend I finally have the scope aligned and pointing to Rosette after being thrown off by duff alignment points. PHD2 is now calibrating. I think I'll just do 2 hr of [OIII] which will take me to a bit after midnight then turn in to be up at 6.20.

It's been super clear down here since 5pm....loving it, makes me kind of forget about the last 2 months!

Same too in Portchester! :)

Came home from work, used Astrobaby's guide to take the slack out of the Dec axis. All good so far...

...wanted to continue the RGB on my flaming star, took four seven minute subs only to realise that the camera wasn't cooling! Took four more before I realised that I'd rotated the focuser by an awkward arbitrary amount during the mount adjustment procedure...  :cussing:  :cussing:  :cussing:  

After realising that I was going to have to take a whole new load of flats tomorrow anyway, I decided to have a go at something new (after all, I've been pointing at the Flaming Star for a month now to get 4.5 hours of data and I'm fed up looking at it), so I'm now running 15 minute Ha subs of the Rosette. Even that was fraught as I forgot for a good ten minutes that ASPS in APT wont solve binned images... lol

I thought about swithing to OIII for a bicolour Rosette, but the Ha is coming in nicely and I'm convinced that going out to refocus at midnight will end in disaster, so I'm just going to leave the Ha photons trickle in for the duration and do the other bands next time it's clear, probably sometime in 2017... ;)

Still, I am rather thrilled to bits pleased with the Ha subs so far :)

Here is a single (stretched) one, just to show off a bit :)

post-33415-0-05207900-1452207242_thumb.j

I can't decide whether to pack up and go to bed (work early tomorrow), or stay up until the clouds roll in (due at 3am).

Currently stacking and stretching my wide shots whilst waitnig for more data on a 200mm lens wide of Oriion, horsey and flame. Have about an hour on that so far.

Decisions decisions!!

Good looking Rosette by the way, keep it up.

I can't decide whether to pack up and go to bed (work early tomorrow), or stay up until the clouds roll in (due at 3am).

Currently stacking and stretching my wide shots whilst waitnig for more data on a 200mm lens wide of Oriion, horsey and flame. Have about an hour on that so far.

Decisions decisions!!

Good looking Rosette by the way, keep it up.

Thanks!

BTW, don't believe everything you see on Clearoutside. This seems to be telling a different story: http://en.sat24.com/en

I'm going to go to bed and let it run all night: The scope might fog up, but I'm confident that it won't rain before I pack up in the morning :)

Made most of the clear sky tonight as I removed the corrector plate yesterday for a good clean (as the grease has leaked onto the back of it) and I also fitted bobs nobs to simply recollimation.

Got home from work and it was clear so collimation was possible, - never done it before and initially it was way off, took me a while to master it but got there in the end.

I'm trying to get into guiding so I also had a play with my guidescope and ZWO camera with PHD2 to see if I could get it to latch onto a star but I didn't make much headway - back to the instructions - hopefully it will be clear again soon and I'll have another go.

Archived