Narrowband

First Light - DMK 41AU02.AS

Paxo

I thought instead of the usual moon/planetary work usually seen with these cameras, I would see how effective thet are at longer exposures, afterall, they are reported to be extremely low noise. Put the WO Megrez 72 on the EQ6 pro (overkill I know, but its all I've got), Placed an 80mm extension tube in the focusser, popped in the camera, performed a quick polar align, one-star alignment, slewed to M51 (reasonably overhead), and set the system away recording 60 second subs. Recorded 100 subs, subsequently used 20 (cloud ruined the rest). Took no darks, no flts or bias frames. Stacked the subsequent images in DSS, a quick play in CS2, and heres the result:

6287_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Considering there are no calibration frames and a 1290x960 pixel array, coupled with the small aperture scope, I'm extremely happy with the results, a very sensitive relatively low noise chip. Looking forward to first attempts at some planetary work (though I'm not fully coming over from the dark-side yet).

Steve..

Put the WO Megrez 72 on the EQ6 pro (overkill I know, but its all I've got),

Steve..

Awww poor lamb ! Seems to have done the trick !! For the data you collected that's a great start.

PS I'll be putting my zs66 on the heq5 pro shhh !

Thanks for all the comments folks. Looks like a very promising camera, can't wait to gt my obsy finished and get this on the 12" LX200R, then we should get some impressive results.

Steve..

hey steve,

That look looks great btw, the original was dark but the cuvres really shows what a powerfull little camera that is. and no noise either! you could say that it's raw 6images are as good as a good eye piece in a bigger faster scope!

the slight focus problems with the stars was that because you didn't care to much / didn't want to waste to much time whle it was clear or was it diffuciult to focus up?

cheers alasdair

Alasdair,

As usual, I took lots of care with focussing, the stars being a bit grey and darkened in the centre are a result of the processing. The only drawback I can see with the IS software that comes with the camera (although I've only had a couple of hours with it) is that it saves images as JPEG or BMP so that you are processing with images that have already been compressed to some degree, hence the digitally produced artefacts. I need to carry out a lot of post image capture processing due to living in an area of extreme light pollution.

Steve..

Archived