Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy android apps?

I am looking for an astronomy app for my android tablet. I am torn between two, Stellarium or Mobile Observatory. Both look very good with Mobile Observatory having the better reviews in the android store. I would like to know what those members who use either of these, or any other astronomy apps, think.

Many thanks and kind regards

Craig (Skybot) :)

I have both Stellarium and Mobile Observatory on my tablet. There is some overlap between them but really they address different aspects and so both are worth having in my opinion.

I'll give the new version of Sky Safari a try too, as and when a reduced price offer for the Android version becomes available.

Ian

Thank you for the input from all who have posted a reply so far.  Something for me to think about there and a few more apps for me to look at.

Many thanks and kind regards

Craig (Skybot)  :)

A few more ideas from a previous thread? (I didn't check for duplicates) ;)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/256106-useful-smart-phone-desktop-software/

Came across "Weather Forcast" which, for minimal outlay, impresses me:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onjara.weatherforecastuk.free&hl=en

Doesn't actually improve the weather - Though does effect Astronomy.   :p

I know SkySafari looks expensive but when I think back to long before mobile devices and apps arrived, astronomy software for PC's and Mac's was much more expensive and harder to come buy. Actually most of the big name desktop packages are still very costly by comparison.

All these apps are fantastic for the money. I have tried most of them and my current prefs are Stellarium and SkySafari. I also use stellarium on my windoze laptop.

I've got Mobile Observatory too but don't often use it. It seems to carry an awful lot of info and clutter I don't particularly want.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

The apps I use are listed in the thread that Chris linked to above, but since the subject has cropped up again I'll take this opportunity to get something off my chest.

The one app that I see recommended here over and over again is SkySafari, and it seems to have several versions at different price points, which is great. But there isn't one that is 'lite' enough to be offered for free - no time-limited, or function-limited 'demo' version - nothing. Or at least none that I can find. Often apps that work fine with some Android devices won't work with others, so I feel I need some way of trying tham before I'm willing to pay for a full version. Equally, some apps might work fine, but I just can't get on with them - again I need more than just a brief description on Google Play and a bunch of screenshots.

What I did eventually find - quite by accident - was a Celestron-branded app that seems actually to be a version of SkySafari under the skin, and is free. I can't remember what it was called, but anyone who similarly would like to try it out before deciding if it's for them could, I'm sure, track it down. As for me, it didn't work properly with my tablet, and I didn't pursue it any further, but YMMV. If you do try it, be warned: it was a gargantuan download (as compared with most of these things), and as soon as I opened it it insisted on downloading another massive chunk of data - even more than the original!

Edit: I've just realised the Celestron app is the same app that Mak the Night linked to in the early part of this thread.

The apps I use are listed in the thread that Chris linked to above, but since the subject has cropped up again I'll take this opportunity to get something off my chest.

The one app that I see recommended here over and over again is SkySafari, and it seems to have several versions at different price points, which is great. But there isn't one that is 'lite' enough to be offered for free - no time-limited, or function-limited 'demo' version - nothing. Or at least none that I can find. Often apps that work fine with some Android devices won't work with others, so I feel I need some way of trying tham before I'm willing to pay for a full version. Equally, some apps might work fine, but I just can't get on with them - again I need more than just a brief description on Google Play and a bunch of screenshots.

What I did eventually find - quite by accident - was a Celestron-branded app that seems actually to be a version of SkySafari under the skin, and is free. I can't remember what it was called, but anyone who similarly would like to try it out before deciding if it's for them could, I'm sure, track it down. As for me, it didn't work properly with my tablet, and I didn't pursue it any further, but YMMV. If you do try it, be warned: it was a gargantuan download (as compared with most of these things), and as soon as I opened it it insisted on downloading another massive chunk of data - even more than the original!

Edit: I've just realised the Celestron app is the same app that Mak the Night linked to in the early part of this thread.

Yeah, SkyPortal's not light, but my tablet has a fair bit of memory, so I don't know how it will run on a phone. The global positioning/location doesn't always work until after several sessions, but one way around it is to set your own position. It utilises Google Maps for this and you can set it for your own backyard. I must say, I quite like Sky-Portal.

There is a Stellarium browser add-on for Chrome/Chromium although I don't think it runs on Android.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stellarium-on-rollapp/koecfllbdgblbpiicoekgjbhdnmgdcnm?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Sounds like you've got several good pieces of advice here.  I've been using SkySafari for Android on my phone AND tablet (mostly tablet) and absolutely love it.  It beats out their desktop software (Starry Night 7) in many aspects and hasn't let me down.  The voluminous object descriptions and ability to log observing sessions while at the scope is great.  

One piece of advice.  As someone mentioned, with Sky Safari you don't get to upgrade new versions for free.  DON'T MISS THIS ----- a new version for Android is coming out late Q1 or early  Q2 with some pretty cool new features.  I would recommend using whatever for the rest of the winter season and then getting this app.  I have the Plus but will probably be upgrading to the Pro when the new version comes out.  

Stellarium is pretty cool but I've found there to not be enough stars and objects for what I like.  SkyPortal is the same.  Their Plus version has 2.5 million stars and the Pro goes up to 25 million.  Good luck with your choice!

I stated something in my last post that I've now learned to be incorrect.  After talking with Sky Safari support staff, they are now offering an upgrade program on their software.  For any purchase within 12 months of a new release, they will issue a coupon code for 100% of the purchase price towards the new version upon its release.  This is great news for me, as I purchased SS Plus about 6 months ago and the new version comes out in the next 2-4 months.  

Also, it does appear that SkyPortal is SkySafari, as others posted, albeit a very scaled back version in regards to amounts of stars/objects/features.  

Archived