Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

spacejammed

first light - first scope

Ok first light: Skywatcher bk1309 EQ2

Got about an hour before cloud returned seen what I believe to be polaris aka north star. And second star quiet close I find the 25mm with 2x Barlow was ok for that but using the 10mm lost them so not rating the 10mm.

Not 100% that it was north star, it was the brightest to naked eye but by my compass it was more to the east so not 100% on my setup. or slight haze may have been dimming Polaris at a guess I was probably looking at Pollux and Castor

Looking around randomly could just make out a cluster of stars quite a lot but even with 25mm on barlow×2 it was still very distant.

So some advise and some questions

1. is polaris at compass north

2.do i look at getting a barlow x 3 or getting bigger lens like 40mm?

Hi, I can't help with your Polaris question I've only been stargazing a year. Once you know where it is easy to find. Secondly I would dump the barlow unless viewing planets as in my experience it turns everything to mush.

If you lost the stars in your 10mm ep it could be that you need to align your finderscope better. I just align now days with Polaris. Down load stellarium or starcharts if you already haven't. And have fun when the night get clearer and colder

I'm sure some more experienced members will be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck and carry on enjoying yourself. I wish I's taken this hobby up years ago.

• Like 1

The celestial North Pole which is a projection of our North Pole does not correspond with the magnetic North Pole. Indeed Polaris is not exactly at the North Celestial pole, but aligning to it will be more than accurate enough for visual observations.

The quality of the supplied Barlow is not great, but a x3 is probably is too much for your scope.

Edited by laudropb
  • Like 1

Hi Spacejammed - use this guide to confirm the location of the pole star using the constellations - and it will help with your local coordinates too:  http://www.satsig.net/maps/how-to-find-north-pole-star.htm

The pole star is indeed a "double star" close up - so it may well be the one you saw. If you don't have it already download "Stellarium" - it's free planetarium software and you'll be able to get a bearing on any object in the sky and use it to plan a star hop to your target. http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/ - you'll certainly be able to confirm Castor and Pollux.

Find out how to polar align your mount - just pointing it north and 52o upwards will initially be enough - you'll find tracking objects is a lot easier that way. Loads of luck and don't be shy with any other questions you have. :)

Polaris is in a northern direction, so if your compass said east, then I'm guessing that wasn't it. It's also not particularly bright. Castor in Gemini is much brighter, rising in the east and is also a double star (I think it is actually 6 stars, but don't think you'll be able to pick out more than 2, possibly 3.

As mentioned above, don't bother with 3x Barlow, it will give you too much magnification and unless it is very high quality (read: expensive), then it will also muddy your view.

• Like 1

Thanks for amazing advice have had a 2nd light without the Barlow lense just using the 25 wide, confirmed I was looking at castor and pollux of Gemini now seen much clearer.

Moving round to orion belt as 11yr old was interested and to see 3 on the belt and Bellatrix picked up on right which seemed quite bright thanks for tips about not using the Barlow it worked.

Looking forward to moon and photos next week.

very nice. try moving down to the sword in Orion, the middle star is the great orion nebula - fantastic view.