Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Paul73

££ Eyepiece Accident then Embarrassment

Hi Guys

I thought that this one might raise a smile on a cloudy afternoon.

My precious ES 82° 24mm got a bit of a daytime knock back in November. After much cursing, I replaced it in its case and hoped for the best...

Fast forward to Dec. I retrieved said eypiece. Popped it in the Dob with trembling hands - the view was awful. Deeply sad as this was a favourite eyepiece (and £200 off to the seaside). Wondered if it was just poor seeing. Tried again a couple of days ago. Same result. Although I was surprised to see Owl nebula standing out on a hazy night.

I resolved to take it apart and realign the elements as there was nothing to lose.

Today was the day so a close inspection revealed something strange......

post-32768-0-90513100-1452088976_thumb.j

I feel a right muppet, but it couldn't have worked out much better.

• Like 4

Haha we,ve all been guilty of a bit of muppetry glad it worked out though.

Oh well, I once thought there was something seriously wrong with my Nagler 12T4 (which is one of those dual barrel 2" - 1.25" types). I inserted it into the 2" diagonal after swapping out the 17T4, and was treated to a featureless grey image. No amount of turning the focusing knob of the C8 solved this. I took out the EP and put in the 17T4, and could achieve focus again, no worries. I then looked at the 12T4 to find that the 1.25" semi-transparent lens cap was still on the smaller inner barrel :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Something like this bounds to happen to us a couple of times :smiley:

Curiously, I know I won't leave a filter on my EP when working with the C8, because my filters go into a filter-slide built into the diagonal I have. I can of course leave the filter in the slide, but that is easily cured :D

This still leaves open many other avenues of stupidity ;)

:D :D :D What a prize plum. Although I did have a similar experience with a moon filter. The skies were so clear yet I couldn't understand why all the clusters seemed less than impressive. Of course it wasn't until my eyelids were telling me it was bed time that I realized. A beautifully clear night wasted but hey ho, such is life :rolleyes:  

Glad to see your prized 24mm remains all good though.

Glad to have lightened the mood!

I was going to change my avatar to something muppet related but thought that it would probably stick.

Paul

Alls well that ends well. 

We've all had similar mishaps but it's good that we can smile about them later.

Classic! We've all been there. :grin:

Sympathies really but it is funny.

• Like 1

Classic! We've all been there. :grin:

Sympathies really but it is funny.

You're a wicked man Brantuk  :p But it was funny.

• Like 1

Doh!

I was looking at m31 the other day and found myself thinking for some time that he view was really disappointing. Then I realised I was still looking through my finderscope when I thought I was looking through my main scope!

• Like 1

I had the unfiltered eyepiece in the scope on Saturday. Perfect!!!

What a relief.

Paul