SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

££ Eyepiece Accident then Embarrassment

Paul73

Hi Guys

I thought that this one might raise a smile on a cloudy afternoon.

My precious ES 82° 24mm got a bit of a daytime knock back in November. After much cursing, I replaced it in its case and hoped for the best...

Fast forward to Dec. I retrieved said eypiece. Popped it in the Dob with trembling hands - the view was awful. Deeply sad as this was a favourite eyepiece (and £200 off to the seaside). Wondered if it was just poor seeing. Tried again a couple of days ago. Same result. Although I was surprised to see Owl nebula standing out on a hazy night.

I resolved to take it apart and realign the elements as there was nothing to lose.

Today was the day so a close inspection revealed something strange......

post-32768-0-90513100-1452088976_thumb.j

I feel a right muppet, but it couldn't have worked out much better.

Oh well, I once thought there was something seriously wrong with my Nagler 12T4 (which is one of those dual barrel 2" - 1.25" types). I inserted it into the 2" diagonal after swapping out the 17T4, and was treated to a featureless grey image. No amount of turning the focusing knob of the C8 solved this. I took out the EP and put in the 17T4, and could achieve focus again, no worries. I then looked at the 12T4 to find that the 1.25" semi-transparent lens cap was still on the smaller inner barrel :rolleyes:

:D :D :D What a prize plum. Although I did have a similar experience with a moon filter. The skies were so clear yet I couldn't understand why all the clusters seemed less than impressive. Of course it wasn't until my eyelids were telling me it was bed time that I realized. A beautifully clear night wasted but hey ho, such is life :rolleyes:  

Glad to see your prized 24mm remains all good though.

Doh!

I was looking at m31 the other day and found myself thinking for some time that he view was really disappointing. Then I realised I was still looking through my finderscope when I thought I was looking through my main scope!

Archived