Narrowband

6mm eyepiece

been looking for an eyepiece around the 6mm to 8mm range that I could use for genral(high mag) viewing on a skywatcher 130p goto and have found an Altair Lightwave 6mm LER 1.25" Planetary Eyepiece which is £45(field of view 55° degrees and 20mm eye relief), first off are they anygood and does anyone have any other ideas

The Altair looks reasonable, you get a bit more eye relief but lose an amount of field.

The Altair one comes to £51, the BST's are £49.

Altair have a shiping cost of £5 then add VAT to this so the shipping comes out as £6 - £45+£6 = 51.

Cannot recall a retailer adding VAT to shipping as the retailer is not performing the shipping so they are not adding the value aspect.

However not a great deal of difference and you have the additional magnification over the 8mm BST.

The 8mm BST is a good eyepiece, and would deliver 81x.

Possibly depends on the use that you intend.

The other 6mm that gets good reports and appears in general use is the William Optics SPL 6mm, £79.

Will point out that the specification of the Altair 6mm is as best I can tell identical to the WO: 7 elements, 4 groups, 6mm, 55 degree, 20mm Eye Relief. The others in the Altair range are also mirrored in the WO range. In effect I would guess they are the same eyepiece, just branded as "Altair" or "William Optics".

• 3 weeks later...

Archived