Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette Nebula possible in 10 inch Dob?

Andyb90

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cone is in the fox fur nebula, large and diffuse, much less defined than the rosette or flame. Probably a bit like the elephant trunk in ic1396... The nebula is part one... Seeing the absence of nebula is the real pain! Also looks to be quite small... Much like the horsey.

Must make a note to hunt it down next time I am using a big enough scope.

Cheers

Peter

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys, I'm a bit late to the party on this one however I think my question applies. I would like to image the rosette, is this possible with an unguided 10" Dobsonian? I'm in slightly light polluted skys and have a T3i canon. Any suggestions would be helpful thank you.

Pickers

On 05/02/2019 at 03:47, dannybgoode said:

I would have said not as the nebula is faint unless your dob  is on a motorised go to mount and even then it’ll be a challenge. 

If it’s not a motorised mount I don’t think you’ll get long enough subs for it to show.

Cheers for the response I appreciate it. I thought as much, wishful thinking though Haha. It would be good to see a list of possible DSOs imaginable with a 10" Dob non guided! I may put that to the imaging section to see if I can get a list started.

The Rosette isn't that hard with an OIII filter, though obviously the darker your skies and the larger the aperture the better.  I've got a 12" Dob in skies that aren't that fantastic, and I've managed it a fair few times, but have always needed the OIII filter to do so...  I just look for the recognisable central cluster, then I find slowly panning around the area really helps to pick out the mottled nebulosity surrounding it.  Once you've seen it, that elusive doughnut is easier to find next time...

Archived