Hi from Edinburgh!

jonnykerm

Hello Jonny :)

Welcome to the forum,  don't hesitate to ask questions, lots of helpful people here !

Good look on your first light

Hello and welcome to SGL, Jonny.. Unfortunately you will notice more clouds than before.... Even if its only because you're looking for clear nights and noticing the clouded out skies... unfortunately you will find that here are more cloudy nights than clear ones. A clear sky is almost a treat.

hi johnny I new to the forum this week got my skywatcher bk1309 eq arrived today and took all day to setup and by 15:30 i was levelling it outside with hope of a clear sky at 18:30 i was not disapointed and had an hours clear sky I am happily please by seeing a few stars.

check weather radar it may give you an hour or 2.

Hi Jonny and welcome to the forum. Can be a bit frustrating waiting for the weather to improve but those clear skies are on their way to help you appreciate the wonders of the night sky. If you haven't done so already, you might want to consider downloading some free planetarium software called Stellarium which is popular among many members here and is easy to use. I mention it as it can be a helpful device during cloudy times to help you negotiate your way around the night sky and it can also help you practice where to find the best objects.

Hi Jonny - I'm also in Edinburgh and got my first scope December 2014. I was finding things a bit frustrating at first but as mentioned above Stellarium is a great, free piece of software which I use to write up a list of targets before going out on any given night. I also found ( by chance ) Central Scotland Observers Forum and joined them. The guys and girls there also have a wealth of knowledge and are really helpful but what I found the best was being able to join them at Harperrigg Resevoir out in West Lothian. As soon as I left my back garden ( a lot of light pollution ) and headed out there I knew this hobby was for me. It was like having a new, more powerful telescope due to the darker skies out there. All the best and fingers crossed we get a gap in these awful clouds at some point

Andy

Archived