Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Quick Observing Report from Cumbria with a proposal!

Fozzie

Despite the atrocious weather our Cumbrian friends have endured over the last month, and with a forecast showing no let-up in the wind and rain, I optimistically packed the 72mm ED and camera tripod for two reasons, firstly it pays to be optimistic and secondly I was intending on using the scope as a distraction as part of my devilish plan to catch Emma completely by surprise.

Fortunately, for me, both worked, although I had to wait patiently for the opportunity.

We were with friends so this was always going to be disjointed obs session until the early hours with people coming and going to casually look at what was on show, which ended up with me selecting firm favourites such as the Orion nebula, Andromeda, Pleiades, double cluster, the moon and later on Jupiter..  

What a difference dark sky’s made, and between Keswick and Penrith in Cumbria, the area offered a lovely dark setting, easily making out the double cluster by eye as well as Andromeda, simply lovely sky’s.

Whilst I won’t go into detail about the familiar targets, I will spend some time on my viewing of the M42. 

I had recently purchased a second astronomik Oiii filter which I had not had chance to use, now I know this is not the best filter for the object, better with UHC maybe, and some people recommend no filter at all, but it quickly became apparent that with the 72mm, 12mm SLV giving me a 2mm exit pupil and circa 1.4deg of view, this object was glorious. 

For the first time I could clearly make out depth and layers in the gas cloud, giving a view I’d not noticed or seen before, and the extended wings were visible too, faintly, but defiantly there.  Incidentally I tried with the optics Oiii and the image was, well, it left a lot to be desired.

So to it, the proposal, it was going to be tricky as it was circa 3deg C outside and Emma is reluctant at the best of times to head out in the cold, but she usually gives me at least a quick look and acknowledgment that I’m showing her something of majestic beauty in the heavens.  So begrudgingly out she came to have a look.

So with her eye upto the lens and unaware of my movements I dropped on to the knee and produced the ring. (don’t think she’s ever spent so much time looking through the EP, felt like ages.. must have been a very good sight indeed!)    Eventually though, she did look up and then down at me, the reaction was classic (won’t go in to it, but I won’t forget the look on her face ever I think..!)

We had a break in proceedings for celebrating and the new year, before I excused myself and headed back out and on to Jupiter and the moon.

Running at 96x magnification Jupiter showed lovely banding across the main 2 bands with subtle hinting that I could make out 4 bands in total, matching the 4 main moons in a line to the planets 11oclock. 

Swinging on to the moon at approx. 50% WG I was greeted with a lovely view of the terminator and what I thought was the Luna “V”, it was very clear but I could not detect any sign of the “X” which I thought went hand in hand.

Eventually though the clouds and mist descended and after an eventful observing session on new years eve, I called it a night, with the rest of the holiday taken up by the wind and rain again.

Wishing you all a cloud free 2016 and best wishes for the future..

Thanks for reading

Fozzie

Many, many thanks on the best wishes and congratulations!

Tonge in cheek it was just as much a relief to get a obs session in as well as a yes to the big question! Both worth waiting for...

Thanks

Fozzie

Archived