Hi from west london :)

Gparkz

Hi All, I'm Gary, very much an amature but i've been interested in astronomy for a number of years, I have my trusty old 10x50's which have lasted years and a 8.75" dob. I tried a bit of astrophotography and yep its hard :) so now i'm gluten for punishment by purchasing a SCB2000 camera, something else to get my head round.

Will be nice to hear from you all.

Regards

Gary

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gary

Welcome to SGL

And the dark side if you going for astrophotography :D

Gareth.

yes, my first efforts were literally 'dark' Gareth lol, not a speck of light, I blamed boots, anyway "horray" for digital photography. 

Hi!

I'm also a new member in SGL, living in Kiruna in northern Sweden (68 latitude). I'm just about to order my first telescope!

Northern Sweden! cool, I guess you get awesomely dark skies over there, what scope are you getting if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Gary, welcome to SGL :)

8.75" is an interesting size - it's not a Fullerscopes is it?

it's strange as you say, normally scopes go from 8" to 10" but this for some odd reason is 8.75" darkstar dobsonian. good old ebay:) its done me well though over the last few years I only picked it up for 140 quid. I'm looking to upgrade within the next few months but i'm torn between 6" refractor or a 12" Dob. I have been researching for over 12 months now and still I cannot decide :( I love the sharpness of the refractor, planetary detail etc and portability but the blue/red diffraction hue (if thats what its called is off putting) at the same time I love a good lightbucket and observing deepsky. I read dobs are no good for astrophotography and refractors are no good for deepsky but Iv'e had some success imaging through my dob and my cousins 4" refractor is quite impressive for deepsky so i'm completely confused with which way to go.

Refractors, unless they are expensive apochromats, will always have chromatic aberration. For deep sky aperture will always rule. Most people with this dilemma end up with both :)

ah yes chromatic aberration. I heard there maybe certain tools to minimise this? maybe a specifically designed eyepiece or filter? I cannot remember exactly but i'm sure I read about it somewhere maybe it was an article on apochromats although i'm not entirely familiar with that. I could sell my car and have both but my legs are not a fan of walking, If we had more then 1 or 2 cloudless nights a month then it may be worth it but until then..... I'll remain undecided on the scope route, although i'm 60/40 in favour of the refractor.

Hi Gary and welcome to SGL - There's a few of us imagers knocking about so if you have any questions just shout. :D The right kit really helps.......Helps you....... not your wallet :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Gary and welcome to SGL - There's a few of us imagers knocking about so if you have any questions just shout. :D The right kit really helps.......Helps you....... not your wallet :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

ah excellent thank you. :)

Hi Gary and welcome to the stargazers lounge.

Get the Dob mate. That imaging lark is rubbish anyway. Visual rules.  :evil62:  :evil:  :evil:

haha thanks for the advice steve, now i'm back to 50/50! :)

Archived