SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Glasgow

Guy65

Hi all

I've been interested in astronomy for years (used to have a homemade 6" Newtonian in my youth) and finally decided to get back to it recently. I stumbled across SGL when I was trying to work out what scope to get and in the end plumped for a SW 127 Mak. on an EQ3. I wanted something portable that would be fairly quick and easy to set up. 

I'd like to get into imaging but the more I read on here, the more daunting (and expensive) it appears...

I live just a few miles to the North of Glasgow so not ideal for light pollution.

Looking forward to learning from so many experts here!

Guy 

Welcome to the party, I image from the Eastcoast USA . LP plays into imaging but, the Moon and Planets are a treat to image and can be done in LP skies  with fairly good results. I live in the city of around 9,000 pop. and it can be done. This is a sub of m42 taken @ 28s 14c with a DSI lll color at the end of Winter I'll stack n process my 1000's of subs of m31,42,43 and 110 and let the magic happen. I'm disabled and use 1 hand to do this and I'm enjoying the ride.post-39008-0-25893800-1451921646_thumb.j It boils down to what your will to do to get that image and how bad your LP is, traveling maybe an option. I do Video Astronomy strictly prime focus because it's easier for me. I do all of it via a wifi laptop to a desktop inside.

Welcome Guy,

Yes I can see where you are coming from. LP is the Bain of many of us. Thalestris24 is correct, the EQ3 is a bit light for AP. It does not say you cannot use it for the present time to go to a less light polluted area and set up for visual. If you can do this in the company of others especially those who know their way around the sky all the better. A good way to start.

If you then get serious about wanting to go the Astro Photography route then I would suggest an HEQ5 minimum. I put up an address for Nik Szymanek where he talks about imaging recommendations a day or two ago. He talks about the necessary mount about 5 minutes through his interview.

this may interest you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fig8WFALU_k&feature=player_detailpage

Derek

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the recommendations - much appreciated!

I'm hoping that I can still do some imaging of planets and maybe brighter DSOs with this setup and then upgrade to an EQ5 in the future.

Hi Guy and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here. Imaging CAN be a money pit, but really it depends on your expectations..... If you want beautiful nebula images, then the chances are you'll need to spend a few ££'s :)

Look forward to seeing you around :) 

Hi Guy and welcome to the forum. Astrophotgraphy doesn't have to be expensive though it very much depends on what you want to image.  Deep Sky Objects (galaxies nebulae etc) or DSO's as they are termed will require as a minimum an accurate mount and they don't come cheap. However imaging planets and the moon can be done on a relatively cheap video camera and processed using free programs that can be easily obtained on the internet. Your decision to come here for advice will certainly help you advance further with imaging as there are many experienced imagers here who can get you up to speed with what's required and how to apply it to generate good consistent images.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Never seen this post!  Hello from a fellow Glaswegian, Guy.  Now living just to the east in Coatbridge.

The first time we get a clear sky, i'm planning to head up the Campsies to see what the skies are like from up there.  Someone posted an LP map before and it appears the worst of it stops right at the Campsies, so maybe just behind them in Fintry would be a good spot if you're planning to go out and about?

Archived