sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Clear skies in London last night, so I got out onto the flat roof with some new additions to my mak. I'm still struggling on with the supatrak + mak127 package - Always dreaming of an heq5pro or somesuch.

First proper go using backyard eos, I also got to use my hand made Bahtinov mask.

Definite improvements over previous attempts for which I used single exposures. This time I took about 10 lights which I stacked by hand in photoshop. I haven't got my head around darks and flats and so forth yet... that's got to be next.

Oh and things are much improved by borrowing my partners Canon 6d which offers a quantum leap in light capturing from the 500d I've been using previously.

Anyway probably saying all that as a roundabout way of justifying my poor image quality, but it is (sort of) fun battling against the twin menaces of a terrible mount and London's all smothering light pollution.

Here are the results of 2 separate captures. Obviously inconsistent colour and so forth, just trying out different ways of reducing the light pollution. Any tips or help always appreciated.

post-44153-0-97558800-1451898969_thumb.j

post-44153-0-18203100-1451898976_thumb.j

• Like 5

hi will, thanks for commenting.

very short, like 2secs, it's about all the supatrak can manage as it was windy too..

missed the clear skies last night.. but when I get another chance I'll try increasing the number of subs, see if that helps.. maybe some sandbags to weigh down the mount might help a bit too.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice. after reading a bit more I got hold of Deep Sky Stacker and tried combining the 2 sets of images I captured.. and it does seem to offer a bit more information to play with when output as a 32 bit tiff. SO much to learn. Anyway, I'll post the result for the sake of it.

post-44153-0-56825800-1452274124_thumb.p

• Like 2

thanks paul, you have to work with what you have right?

I'm sure you all know this, but I have found that if the target is more than about 30 degrees above the horizon, the light pollution is somewhat less of an obstruction.

anyway light pollution is as nothing compared to the endless clouds!!!

thanks paul, you have to work with what you have right?

I'm sure you all know this, but I have found that if the target is more than about 30 degrees above the horizon, the light pollution is somewhat less of an obstruction.

anyway light pollution is as nothing compared to the endless clouds!!!

...or wind which seems to be my biggest issue at the moment. Even the NEQ6 is getting movement from the gale forces and thats usually pretty stable!

Will

• Like 1