Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Manok101

Ok... So I get wide field views.

I asked for some astronomy binoculars for Christmas because lately I just haven't been in the mood to lug either of my telescopes out, and besides it's been cloudy most of the time I want to observe anyway.  I got a pair of 15x70 binoculars, and the views so far are ineradicable, and it  takes no time to just walk around the back carrying them.  I can see all three stars in orions belt together, I can see the whole of the sword as well.  It has not been clear enough yet to actually do anything other than orions nebula but even that looks pretty good for just a pair of binocs.  At first my goal was see everything as close as I could, I still like that, but I now understand the power of seeing it all just a little bit closer.  I star hopped quite a bit just roaming the sky trying to remember where old favorites were.  I just needed something to give me the excuse to get out again I guess.

• Like 1

Glad you're enjoying your bins. I find binocular observing completely different to and just as enjoyable as scope observing. And the convenience rocks; I've seen Comet Catalina only through bins becuase the early morning seems to have been the only properly clear times here for weeks and I don't have the time to get a scope out before work. Bins are on the tripid in about 2 minutes!

P

Bins are great - I like seeing comets with them, some other good objects are the Behive cluster and Plieades open cluster, M13, Albireo, and M31. Andromeda looks particularly nice in 15x70's on a tripod from a very dark site - it really fills the oculars. :)

Edited by brantuk
  • Like 1

Have a try for M51 the whirlpool galaxy, I was amazed to see it through 15 x 70s under quite light-polluted sky, although it was quite close to the zenith which was a bit of a neck strainer.

I know how you feel. I'm really a deep sky imager and accept the challenges that this brings but, once I'm up and running, give me a reclining chair and a pair of binos. I won't trouble you again!

Olly

I think 15x70s are about the best compromise between portability, image brightness, resolution and size of field.   I used a pair of 15x70s at Kelling Heath back in October in pristine skies and I was totally captivated by the views for 2-3 hours, despite the availability of nearby scopes up to 30 inches aperture. 

• Like 1