Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Warm Winter Observing

I was out observing one night and kept getting annoyed that I could see my computer screen from my seated observing position.  To solve this, I hung a blanked from my open SUV hatch that would keep the light from being visible.  It was a bit cold that night so I plugged in a space heater and noticed it was a bit warmer with the blanket holding some of the heat in.  As it got colder and colder this winter, I modified the setup a bit and turned the back of my SUV into my personal observing station, complete with heat!  I've attached some pictures from our club's dark site from last night so someone can reproduce this if wanted.

I've taken 3 blankets that reach from my hatch nearly to the ground and clipped them around rear door using binder clips.  After that, I clip on a large tarp using the same clips to hold in additional heat and to block any light that might get through the blankets.  On really cold nights, I also put a blanket hanging down from the SUV rear floor over the edge and down to the ground to keep air from coming in underneath the vehicle (not pictured).  Several times I've used this now and other club members can't believe how much warmer it gets inside.  Some have suggested it's 15-20 degrees F warmer!  It's big enough for 2 people to very comfortably stand and this is where I do all of my logging/planning before going out to the scope.  Also it's nice to bring my EPs back in occasionally to keep them from fogging up.  10 minutes to set up and maybe 5 to take down.  Would love to get some suggestions for any improvements and hopefully this will help someone else fighting the winter cold on the cheap!

*Excuse the ugly blankets, they are what I had lying around and after the lights go out,  you can't tell.   :)

http://1drv.ms/1mYBkHW

Clear Skies!

Chris

Chris,

You can buy a DD 3 x 3 meter tarp for around £35, they come complete with proper re-enforced tags that you can attach using bungees or peg them out :laugh:

They are completely wind & waterproof and weigh about 500 grms.

The 8" f/6 Dobsonian is a bright one.  I imagine the skies get awfully dark there; hopefully, and in order to make it all worthwhile.  I spotted the Telrad.  It appears to have a dew cov..., er, a frost cover.  I've been wanting one of those myself.

Tell us about the eyepieces that you've been using.  Are they the ones that came with the kit?

The 8" f/6 Dobsonian is a bright one.  I imagine the skies get awfully dark there; hopefully, and in order to make it all worthwhile.  I spotted the Telrad.  It appears to have a dew cov..., er, a frost cover.  I've been wanting one of those myself.

Tell us about the eyepieces that you've been using.  Are they the ones that came with the kit?

The skies are pretty good there, I much enjoy going down even though it's about an 80 minute drive each way for me.  The Telrad dew cover (frost cover this weekend for sure) is one I found online that was very easy to make.  Seems to really work well.  See the link below.

http://www.homebuiltastronomy.com/downbino/HomeBuiltAstronomy-TelradDewShield.html

The scope came with an Orion Plossl and I bought the rest of that set to get started.  I have recently started collecting the Explore Scientific 82 degree EPs and have been absolutely thrilled with them.  So far I have the 8.8mm, 14mm and 30mm.  I'm hoping to get the 6.7mm in the near future to round out the set for now.

Archived