Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Newton Quattro 10"CF accessories

Hello,

I am ordering my first astro equipement, and there was an offer on the Quattro CF 10" with the equatorial mount NEQ-6, I bought as well the Skywatcher coma corrector designed for the scope, and an auto-guiding package.

I am writing to check if someone can give me more advice on what accessories I might need as well.

(Barlow? eyepieces? Filters? )

Many thanks

Hi,one of the first things I got after getting my Quattro was a right angled finderscope,the straight one it came with ,for me ,was almost impossible to use without contorting myself and holding on to the mount to see through,also an illuminated crosshairs eyepiece is essential for aligning precisely ,this is a great scope ,good luck

Gary

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, jimboozle said:

How are people getting on with the Quattro? I'm sorely tempted, but have been advised that collimating may be required several times a session - is this true?

You simply cannot expect plug and play in a budget reflector at F4. In fact you cannot expect plug and play in an expensvie reflector at F4. Indeed, can you expect plug and play in any reflector...?

This scope is pitched at a beginner price but it is not a beginner scope. If you are aware of that then fine. You trade simplicity in terms of short exposure for complexity in getting good collimation and other optical issues which have to be right. It's not a refractor so it will never be 'refractor easy.'

Olly

Thanks Olly. I'm keen to get a nice big reflector, and happy to accept that a fair amount of collimating and titivation may be required, but perhaps this is a step too far.  All previous experience has been with a small SCT and a small refractor, so maybe I'll stick with a slightly slower Newt to start with.

thanks again for the advice

jim

i wouldnt recomend this as a first scope, its a difficult learning curve, so if you get a slower more friendly set up you dont have mess about so much, just view or image, the mount is good but mabey a 200p or similar, the last thing you want is to be struggling all night then eventualy loose interest, dont get me wrong my quattro is brilliant, but you have to tweek it a lot more than a slower scope, do as much research as you can take, cheers

Thanks Chris. I've got my G11 set up now, and the nexstar 5 looks a bit out of place on it. I'll trawl the used market and find something on there rather than jumping straight into a Quattro!

Archived