SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar X?

boxtko

I've never been able to find Lunax X before. Last night, I wasn't looking for it. As soon as I looked in the eyepiece though, I noticed an X along the terminator. So I attached my camera and took pics hoping maybe I could get a confirmation.  The pic didn't come out how I wanted it to because of the movement. (no tracking device.) I used a Nikon D3100 and processed in Lightroom.

post-47098-0-80399400-1451845656_thumb.j

Not the lunar "X" I'm sorry to say - you see the Lunar (or Werner) "X" just before first quarter Moon. Here is a sequence I took a couple of years ago so you can find it.  it is not necessarily visible before every first quarter as the "time slot" often occurs either during your local daylight or when the Moon is below the horizon.  Google is your friend for dates when it is visible.

post-4502-0-40784400-1451854479_thumb.jp

Not the lunar "X" I'm sorry to say - you see the Lunar (or Werner) "X" just before first quarter Moon. Here is a sequence I took a couple of years ago so you can find it.  it is not necessarily visible before every first quarter as the "time slot" often occurs either during your local daylight or when the Moon is below the horizon.  Google is your friend for dates when it is visible.

attachicon.gif15 June 2013 Lunar X.jpg

Awwww. Thanks for telling me. I thought maybe I just lucked out and saw it by chance. I was actually observing Jupiter and as I was putting the telescope away I decided to take a quick look at the moon and the X just stood out.

Archived