Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First thing for a SCT.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An after market Focuser mounted on the back for controlled precise focusing , the original focuser that moves the primary mirror is very clumsy.

That said , if your SCT is in a fork mount you'll probably not be able to do this without fouling the fork ...

The first thing I bought was a 2 inch back for it so I could use larger focal length eyepieces, now replaced.

I have added,  balance system, 70mm APO piggyback scope with mounting mini dovetail,  Moonlite focuser.

I have never had a problem with collimation, they hold it well but mine is never moved now but even before was not an issue. Dew is not a massive problem but that is because of where I am, the UK will not be the same. Having said all that I don't think I would buy one new again, when you see what you can pick them up S/H for.

Similar money, 18 inch Sumerian with Nichols mirror of Meade 12 inch SC, the former wins every time for me.

Alan 

Dew shield and 2" back for me. I still have the old focuser. It is a bit fiddly but I got used to it. Mine came on a Vixen Great Polaris German EQ mount so I did not have to change that. A better finder than the 6x30mm is also a great investment. I built myself a 14x70 RACI finder is just great

Hi,

If you want to image the planets a Crawford focuser, preferably with a stepper motor is really essential to nail that fine focus. If it is deep sky you are after then the stock focuser is okay, but better to have the micro focuser.

For DSOs you will probably want a good focal reducer, F/10 is really too long for most DSOs. This is especially true if you are imaging.

However, the single most useful bit of kit that no one has mentioned is a good collimator or at least a very good collimation method. I reckon I didn't get the collimation right on the first 2 years of owning my C11 and not for not trying, I tried everything. The only way I nailed collimation was when I bought a Hotech advanced CT collimator and built a simple optical bench.

The Hotech got me very close and only small final tweaks were then needed on a star.

I bought an RC 3 months ago and despite splashing out on a Howie Glatter laser, it still isn't correctly aligned so I wouldnt be afraid to spend some time and money on the best collimation method you can afford.

Robin

I've got a FeatherTouch Crayford on mine which has the advantage of using the maximum aperture of the visual back, is as smooth as butter and it means you don't have to use the focuser that moves the mirror up and down. You can also hang almost anything off the focuser without fear of any slop whatsoever. For considerably less money you could also consider adding a Telrad, which I find makes setting-up much easier than the standard straight-through finder.

For my tupennethworth;

Dew shield (corrector plates gather dew like nothing else on earth-consider a heated dew shield).

2" focusser

Nice 2" EP set

Telrad finder or, if it's on a Compatible Celestron mount, a Starsense.

The first things I bought for my Nexstar 6SE were

Dew Shield

Power Tank

Camera adapter

I made a large wood disk to slip over the focuser knob. Cheap and is works not to bad.

AZ-EQ6 mount. (I really like this mount)

Various bits and pieces to connect the whole thing to a laptop (including a refurb laptop with an SSD)

Sky-watcher Black Diamond ED80. (I really like this scope  :smiley: )

Some more bits and pieces including a side by side Vixen plate that I still need to install and an autoguider. 

What I need now is what I wish for everyone. Clear Skies and the time to enjoy the hobby.

:laugh:

Archived