Hi.new member introducing myself.

Stylis

Hi all. I have just received a telescope for Christmas. A Meade Polaris 114 reflector. This is the first I have owned since receiving a toy scope some 25 years ago.

I have always been interested in space and am constantly gazing upwards at night.

The question I have at the moment, is what websites are the best for forecasting cloud cover?

So far since Christmas I haven't had a single night when the sky has been clear enough to view.(apart from New year's eve, when the wife said there's no way I could bring the thing to a party.)

Thanks

Keith

Welcome to SGL. I find the Met Office the most accurate, who provide data to the BBC too. Much of the time, a look up at the sky is your best bet, along with an optimistic approach to give it a go even if it's not perfect conditions.

The question I have at the moment, is what websites are the best for forecasting cloud cover?

Simplest answer is none.

My forecast for this regions 1 site says clear, next says partial cloud (47% if I recall), third says 100% cloud. I also have sun up to 3mm rain depending on the site used.

Be careful of the term "clear", it might mean fog/mist as in driving conditions, it likely does not mean a completely clear sky for astronomy. What a met office defines or refers to as "clear" is as best anyone can tell not the same as  we would define as "clear".

Chester is in the West and that tends to get more cloud as the weather fronts and patterns generally wander across the Atlantic then go up the West side of England. Suggest that if you are inclined to find a club, they may have a location to to and view at.

One aspect of astronomy I have found is that you tend to learn about weather and read weather charts quite well. My best source are 2 or 3 sites that supply the pressure and weather fronts on a predicted animation.

Hi Keith and welcome to SGL! One thing you will quickly learn is that any astronomical purchase is accompanied by 'x' number of cloudy/rainy nights.

I tend to find weather sites with radar maps best and predict the clear spells myself. I run the animation and follow the cloudy/clear areas and see what is moving towards my observing site. On the met office site I believe the images are 15 minutes apart, so you can gauge how quickly the clouds/clear patches are moving and therefore when they will be over you.

Despite all their technology, weather forecasting still seems to be very much suck your finger and stick it up in the air and see which way the wind is blowing!

Hi Keith and welcome to SGL, enjoy your new scope when the weather permits, in the meantime, like the rest of us, just open a can of patience; sit back and read up on what Astronomy literature you may have. "Turn Left at Orion" would be a good start, if you don`t have a copy, enjoy the forum :)

Hi Keith and welcome to the forum. I don't find many of the programs predicting weather are that useful, though SAT24 in theory lets you know what's on the way though much can change with certain cloud formations. Ultimately your bedroom window will probably be your best bet but if there is persistent cloud, then John's suggestion above of reading astro books and guides can be a useful resource that will help support your interest, along with some free planetarium software called Stellarium to help practice some of the directional maps and object finding instructions.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the Madhouse. I say that as a great deal of the time people are mad about forecasts being wrong!  :mad: 

There are loads of weather programs and apps but a great deal of the time they are completely wrong.  In reality you are almost best looking out the window. You can go through periods of the apps being correct, but I am sure that this is pure chance. The rest of the time we hear our members bemoaning the reality.  A pinch of salt recommended! At present we are going through a period of lousy predictions and worse weather.

IT WILL IMPROVE

I hope so !

When it is good it can be fantastic.

Derek

Archived