Narrowband

Dumbo

Tim

I just finished my second 80 hour week. I dont know if I'm coming or going or already gone. But about a week ago, just as the moon was nearly full, the sky suddenly cleared. It was 2am or so as I recall, and I was dead on my feet. So I pointed the telescope at a patch of sky identified by an IC number I forget, set the exposure times to 800 secs, and promptly went to bed. At 5am my security system alarm pinged and I jumped out of bed, covered up the equipment, removed the camera and went back to bed.

I've been too knackered even to process the pics at all, and sadly I dont really know how to get the best out of the pics with the red fuzzy nebulas on.

But here is my first effort at a red (Ha?) nebula, done through eyes that just wanna close for about 48 hours.... :shocked:

Its the elephants trunk nebula, and surrounding nebulosity, the OTA was a WO 72mm, and guiding was a C9.25. Camera the self modded Canon 350D.

Cheers

TJ

6255_large.jpeg

Blimey!, you're climbing the ladder fast TJ. The neb looks a bit vivid, but since I am a poor judge on these matters, it is only my opinion. I am sure a bit of tweaking will result.

However, congratulations, you have made great headway in your imaging career.

It is a very admirable result.

Ron. :shocked:

A problem I had with this is that the moon was bleaching the sky, but in 7 months of me taking astro photos, that couple hours was easily the best seeing and most transparent sky I have experienced. I got a little over excited and went for 800 sec subs, and they are a little light, not only that, it was getting light too, and the last frames were after dawn. After about 3.50 here the dark is gone.

DSS wont accept that there are stars on the longer 800 sec subs, thats why this one was a single frame. If I alter the levels in PS then submit them to DSS, will it make a difference?

I also still have 64 exposures gathered over several nights on the Ring Nebula. The detail seems good and there are at least 2 stars, maybe three inside the ring, but I just dont get time to learn how to drag out the good bits.

Can anybody sell me some free time? :shocked:

TJ

I don't do nebulae. Mainly cos I don't ever know what the colour and luminescence should be but for a man who has just done two 80 hour weeks (workers of the world unite :shocked:) and as it's a quiet Sunday morning I've had a quick bash....... nothing sophisticated just three levels combined with your original,a little blurring and saturation change.

The star level is transparent but didn't show on screen so has been given a black background. Anyway, when you wake up TJ let me know if it looks anything like it should. Lots of black spots on the original have been left alone as I'm not sure if they should be there.

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

Yeh, I reckon 500 or maybe 600 secs would have been better, and would have helped avoid the trailing too.

Oh well, same time next year.................

TJ

Archived