SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best 8" dobsonian for around £500?

Hi all I've got astrophotography kit. but I'm looking for a good 8" dobsonian telescope so I can set up quickly. I want one with good optics and maybe some decent accessories I'd love to get the zhumell z8 deluxe dob telescope and even tho they've stopped making them or discontinued them I've found a place that's got one for £314 this place

http://prubuy.uk/catalog/product/view/id/29666/

But I've never heard of them but have googled them and they say they seem safe and also have loads of reviews on they're Facebook page. The other I was looking at is the Orion skyquest xt8 plus. That's around £422 I'd like your expertise and is there any other dobs around the £500 mark worth looking at? Any feedback would be much appreciated thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zhumell are made by GSO who also make the Revelation 8" F/6 dobsonian. I think it's probably the same scope as the Zhumell Z8 although the finder is straight through with the Revelation:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/telescopes/telescopes-by-brand/brand-revelation-telecopes/revelation-8-f-6-m-crf-premium-dobsonian-white.html

I've had great results from the Skywatcher dobsonians over the years which are made by the same company (Synta) that makes the Orion XT8.

Optically these are all around the same. The accessories and build vary a bit brand to brand so those plus the price can be the deciding factor.

Zhumell are made by GSO who also make the Revelation 8" F/6 dobsonian. I think it's probably the same scope as the Zhumell Z8 although the finder is straight through with the Revelation:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/telescopes/telescopes-by-brand/brand-revelation-telecopes/revelation-8-f-6-m-crf-premium-dobsonian-white.html

I've had great results from the Skywatcher dobsonians over the years which are made by the same company (Synta) that makes the Orion XT8.

Optically these are all around the same. The accessories and build vary a bit brand to brand so those plus the price can be the deciding factor.

Wow that Revelation 8" F/6 Is practically the same specs as the zhumell even with the cooling fan same size eyepieces as you said it's only the finder-scope that's straight though that's definitely one to google and consider. Do you know anybody that's had any experience with the revelation optics etc? Thanks

Many of Synta's Orion brand telescopes are considerably more expensive in the UK than in the US, I've heard that this is because they are originally imported into the USA from China and then re-exported to Europe. Skywatcher is the Synta brand most commonly found in Europe and apparently imported direct from China, hence a cheaper price for what is essentially the same scope!

Something similar happens with GSO telescopes which are marketed in the US by Hayneedle/Telescopes.com but found in England as Revelation, again essentially the same scope!

By all accounts, there is no great difference in quality or performance. The Skywatcher and the Revelation are in fact exactly the same price!

Wow that Revelation 8" F/6 Is practically the same specs as the zhumell even with the cooling fan same size eyepieces as you said it's only the finder-scope that's straight though that's definitely one to google and consider. Do you know anybody that's had any experience with the revelation optics etc? Thanks

Well I've owned one a few years back and it was quite good optically. I've also owned the Skywatcher 8" dobsonian which I thought was pretty good as well, perhaps a little better than the Revelation in terms of pure optical quality but not a lot in it.

There are several branded scopes that are made by GSO including Revelation, Telescope Services (TS) in Germany, Zhumell mostly in the USA and the Meade Lightbridge series. All have the same optics and mirror cells in them.

As I said earlier the company Synta makes Skywatcher, Orion (USA), Celestron and a number of other brands.

GSO and Synta are both competing in the same market niche.

Another option might be to look out for a pre-owned dobsonian made by Orion Optics in the UK. Mechanically they are of similar quality to the above but the optics in them tend to be higher quality. The new price would be beyond your budget but you should get a used one for under £500.

Now we're in my hobby realm :) sign up on stargazers lounge mate www.stargazerslounge.com a very helpful and friendly bunch, there's loads of people on there that have the Dobsonian telescopes, me being one of them :) all you could ever want to know can be found on there, I'm on there under the same username as here :)

Woops, stupid tapatalk thought I was on a different forum, so ignore that, my bad

Lol sorted fella now we're on that subject what scope you using mate and what recommendations would you give? And thanks John I will check out used Orion optics I've priced new 10" Orion optics and it's over £800 and 8" over £700 but I'll check used thank and thanks for the info too Patrick.

I have just taken delivery of a 12" Revelation dob & I am very impressed with the build quality for the money. I went for this over a skywatcher because of the better focuser, better bearings , fan & of course the better price & I am glad I did. I have yet to look through it but expect it to be every bit as good as the skywatcher equivalent.

As no one has mentioned it yet I'd like to throw the Bresser Messier 8" dob into the mix. I was originally looking at an 8 or 10" Skywatcher but after seeing them side by side the Bresser won me over. The focuser is significantly better with no noticeable slop or backlash. As supplied it is only single speed but a 10:1 mechanism is available for about £60 if you want it. The 2" to 1,25" EP adaptor only has a single screw with no compression ring so one of the first things I did was to replace that (however the 2" EP holder has three screws and a compression ring).

The alt/az movements are also noticeably smoother than on the SW models but it is worth checking the screws in the teflon (?) pads are recessed properly during the assembly stage as I discovered a slightly proud screw will immediately start to gouge a channel in the aluminium running plate and create a jerky movement on that axis.

If you're someone who likes to carry the mount and OTA separately then the large semicircular bearings also work well as carrying handles although both can be carried as a single unit using the holes in the side of the base.

I bought a Revelation 8" a couple of months ago to replace my 4SE - chosen over the Skywatcher for the dual speed Crayford focuser, cooling fan and adjustable trunnions (to allow for balancing).

I've only been able to use it twice due to the appalling weather, but early indications are good. I plan to post up a review with some pictures when I get a proper night's observing with it.

Hi and thank you all you all have helped me in choosing the right scope I think I will go for the revelation it's just down to do I go for the 8" or 10" the 10" is in bbc's sky at night review and they seem to like it.

http://m.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/telescopes/revelation-10-inch-m-crf-premium-dobsonian

Decisions decisions I'll order either one within the week but thank you all.

You might consider that you should get the 8", then some accessories with the balance.  I'm a firm believer in placing all of one's wherewithal, at any given moment, into the telescope first, but only if warranted; then over the months and the following year, and years even, acquire additional eyepieces and accessories as needs or funds permit.

A 10" would be a real treat, although it is more difficult for an optical technician to accurately figure a 10" f/5 parabola compared to that of an 8" f/6, therefore the risk of a "dud" may increase with the former; a worst-case scenario, however.  In addition, the effects of coma would be greater with the 10" f/5, which may or may not necessitate a coma-corrector, depending on how bothersome it might prove to be.  Both would favour deep-sky observations, but also quite capable of the higher magnifications associated with lunar, planetary and stellar observations, and per their relatively-long focal-lengths: 1200mm for the 8", and 1250mm for the 10".  Per the 50x formula, an 8" can realise up to 400x, and a 10", 500x, but only under theoretically-ideal seeing conditions, which are rare.  In real-world conditions, an 8" might realise 240x, and a 10", 300x; at most, and under average seeing.  Higher magnifications also reveal the quality of the mirrors' figures, during observations and when conducting star-tests.

Telescopes and binoculars are extensions of our eyes, our pupils specifically, and to see farther and more brightly.  Our eyes alone are weak in comparison; among the weakest in the animal kingdom.  Ergonomically, an 8" is easier to lug about; but ergonomics aside, just how large of a "pupil" would you like... 

post-47381-0-99800900-1452097010_thumb.j

The increase in light-gathering area is readily apparent, and with the 7mm circle in red illustrating the maximum diameter of the dark-adapted pupil of the human eye.  The diameter decreases as one ages, and down to 4 to 5mm in advanced age, depending.

Then...

If you get the 8", you may forever wonder what the 10" might've been like.

For a budget of 500 I would consider the accessories as well. A telrad and a couple of decent EPs would take a chunk of change out of that, so my advice would be a Skywatcher 8" dob, Telrad and a couple of BSTs or MaxVisions (if there are any left). Second hand is always worth keeping an eye out for though.

I don't mean to highjack your post but as the prices are very similar for the 8" dob from Orion, skywatcher and revelation which one do people recommend? Hoping to upgrade for my birthday shortly☺

If you have a look at the earlier posts in this thread, they cover that very subject.

The answer seems to be that there is no overall concensus - there are owners here of all 3 brands dobsonians and they are all pretty happy with them :icon_biggrin:

Pick the one you can get the best deal on perhaps ?

• 7 months later...
On 03/01/2016 at 15:51, Skooby said:

Hi and thank you all you all have helped me in choosing the right scope I think I will go for the revelation it's just down to do I go for the 8" or 10" the 10" is in bbc's sky at night review and they seem to like it.

http://m.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/telescopes/revelation-10-inch-m-crf-premium-dobsonian

Decisions decisions I'll order either one within the week but thank you all.

hello there. did you go for the revelation 8 inch? If so how are you finding the az roller bearings, do you get any problems stopping at a target?

Archived