Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from the far north!

Taiga

Hi everyone,

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, latitude 65N. I have been dabbling in astronomy for over 40 years, but I've gradually lost the bug. I fell victim to "aperture fever," and purchased a 10" F/5.6 dob with a crude helical focuser.

One might think that the stargazing this far north would be wonderful. After all, the sun barely clears the horizon for a mere 3.5 hrs in December. Unfortunately, auroral sky glow usually washes out the night sky giving us a limiting visual magnitude of 4.5 at best. Also the seeing is usually atrocious. I have never seen an airy disc in my life.

For me, a big reflector is both a beast (mine won't fit in my car) and a waste of aperture. A few days ago, I bought a Celestron NexStar SLT 127. It's cheap, easy, and portable. Now I just need a clear night...

The attached photo was taken on a rare dark night. It's an unguided image of the winter Milky Way taken with a Canon Eos 5Dmk II and a 35mm f/1.4 lens. I used Photoshop to convert it to b&w, then tweaked exposure and contrast for best appearance.

post-42878-0-39527300-1451764886_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome to the lounge!

Here in my area it's almost impossible to watch stars just with your eyes, unfortunately I don't have a telescope or binocular yet, but I'll figure out soon whether that helps more or not. (I'm pretty confident)

Clear skies!

• 1 month later...
On 02/01/2016 at 20:03, Taiga said:

One might think that the stargazing this far north would be wonderful. After all, the sun barely clears the horizon for a mere 3.5 hrs in December. Unfortunately, auroral sky glow usually washes out the night sky giving us a limiting visual magnitude of 4.5 at best.

Hi from another newbie,

Your LP problem is one I would cheerfully take on.  Want to swap:happy7:?

Jayne

Archived